need new radiator 65 j2000 w/amc 327

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
illbdipt

need new radiator 65 j2000 w/amc 327

Post by illbdipt »

what options are there to replace the radiator in a 65 j2000 with an amc 327. my current rad developed a few pin holes in the tubes, they are brittle now plus it doesn't cool well in the summer. the only direct bolt in I have found is from bjs off road - anyone have one ?, any others out there or something close ? has anyone used a new rambler rad for a 327 ? looking for ideas thanks

Brly

Re: need new radiator 65 j2000 w/amc 327

Post by Brly »

I'd be interested in this too. Mine has a small leak at the top. Considered soldering it, but I'd replace it if there was something remotely affordable.
1966 Jeep J3600 Gladiator - AMC 327/T18/D20

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Ya know, I kinda think you have to get out of the cheap mode if you want to repair the original radiator. There are shops out there that will remove the tanks and install a new core. This is what I did with my J10, but that was at least a decade ago and like $300. Only one shop in the say 20 mi radius from here does actual radiator repair, AFAIK. Finding an original style or less expensive off-the-shelf replacement will be nigh on impossible, IMO. The BJ's price is likely on par with what repair with a new core would cost today. No reason to think a Rambler radiator would be anywhere near fitting. Cars have completely different shape constraints and core supports from pickup trucks.

If you want to go cheap, I'd say forget anything 327 related and find an aluminum hot rod radiator that will fit. Measure up what you need and look on Summit Racing.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
illbdipt

Re: need new radiator 65 j3000 w/amc 327

Post by illbdipt »

as always input is a good thing, thanks. I am going to pursue all options, just repair, have new core installed or replace, but am leaning toward a new replacement, have located a few replacements besides bjs that are close, need to search more and make a few calls to find a good fit. working on it when I can so it will take some time but will post back with results at some point.

I did see one in a post on here by allenj20. looks to be a champion radiator by the looks of the insignia on the cap. sent pm but no reply yet.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I'm guessing that the dimensions of the core support for all V8 FSJs will be the same (please correct me if I'm wrong). The six cylinder core support is different and the radiator narrower. Thus I had to have my J10 radiator repaired rather than buy a commodity radiator to get the same number of core rows. The core box was marked "Utility Truck." I presume the core dimensions for sixes and the Utilities are the same.

If the V8 core supports are all the same, you may be able to use a later 360 commodity radiator combined with some creative plumbing. Just depends on how far off the hoses are, and whether you can arrange the hoses not to interfere with the fan etc. Also possible that Champion or Griffin can move the openings around if that's needed. I'd also look into the hot rod radiators which come without brackets, and either use their universal brackets or have a local welder TIG on whatever brackets you need.

BTW I have a aluminum and plastic Spectra Premium radiator in my J20 and it fits and works great.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
illbdipt

Post by illbdipt »

found a few that are a close fit so far. sure there is one out there that will work . just takes time and phone calls. was hoping someone on here had been through the same thing and had some solid leads. will post back with what I come up with when I do

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

I bought a 3 row aluminum on ebay like 3 or 4 years ago for maybe 160 bucks. Had a built in trans/oil(whatever) cooler also. Fit was pretty decent, has held up well. Bang for the buck it works good. I didn't use the cooler since mine is a 4SPD but it cools fine. Couldn't tell you if the fan shroud will fit it, I dont have one currently. Bought it for a V8 grand wag and am running it in front of a 4.0L,had to bend a coat hanger the shape I wanted the hoses to be and take it to the parts store and find a close match. Maybe had 200 into it with new hoses and clamps. When this thing goes I'm going to source a copper replacement only because froma distance the rhino grill looks like a big shiny blob with it behind it. Just my 2 cents
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.