1990 Grand Wagoneer Restoration Horn Question

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
rsturek

1990 Grand Wagoneer Restoration Horn Question

Post by rsturek »

Since I got my 90 Wag running the horn has not worked, Looks Like I am missing something under the horn switch pad. see Picture below

When I manually insert the ground wire into the hole and hold it there, the horn works fine.

Any help is much appreciated!

Chubbinius

Re: 1990 Grand Wagoneer Restoration Horn Question

Post by Chubbinius »

Based off your picture it looks like you might not have the right horn ring/damper installed in yours. In figure 19-300 in the parts manual from oljeep.com (page 523/1229) the one shown has a very different shape compared to the round one you have in your picture.
Manual located here: https://oljeep.com/parts_man/88j.pdf

Hope that helps.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

GrandW

Post by GrandW »

Two holes on either side of the nut, there's the larger hole above on the left. In that, the wire with the white piece on it goes down that hole. Around that wire, wrap a spring onto the end of that. Push it down into that larger whole. Goal here is to make it so when you push on the "Jeep" when it completely assembled, that spring pushes down, completing the circuit. May or may not be "factory", but it works.

Not sure how to explain it better, lmk if that helps.
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
rsturek

Post by rsturek »

Thanks for the replies Chubbinius & GrandW,

I got the horn figured out and fixed, as for the square shaped piece from the 88 parts catalog and not on my wheel, it is also listed in the 90 service manual, but it is a vibration damper and is listed as an option. OK? I decided to remove the steering wheel and see if I could get the wire and plastic sleeve in the correct place and locked in. With the wheel off I was able to push the plastic sleeve all the down until it "clicked" . Wire is now in tight and horn works. It does look like there should be a spring or something else to lock that down, but its working and seems tight.

Thanks for the helps guys!

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Awesome! Glad you got it working. I have a 1970, so I wasn't certain if that damper was extra/necessary for the horn button on the outside to push down far enough to complete the circuit. (I learn something new on these boards every day.)
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

killerinstinct

Post by killerinstinct »

Hi All, I know this post is old now, but I'm having a similar issue.

I'm missing the plastic round piece as well as the spring that holds down the wire on the left top hole. Any suggestions on a workaround to get it working?

I currently had to disconnect the horns at the front grill as whenever I put the key in and turned the key the horn would start blasting. (No Alarm)

See Pic Below:

Below is the cover:

Thanks in advance for your help,
Cesar