Leaf springs lift kit

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Renodemona

Re: Leaf springs lift kit

Post by Renodemona »

Yes, that's why I had to Arch them. They were too flat like _ so the distance between the mounts was too short. I had to re arch them so they were U shaped, bringing the eyes closer together to fit correctly.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Topic author
Mudders

Post by Mudders »

Renodemona wrote:Yes, that's why I had to Arch them. They were too flat like _ so the distance between the mounts was too short. I had to re arch them so they were U shaped, bringing the eyes closer together to fit correctly.
But the pins are not the right distance either.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Renodemona wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:03 pm Yes, that's why I had to Arch them. They were too flat like _ so the distance between the mounts was too short. I had to re arch them so they were U shaped, bringing the eyes closer together to fit correctly.
Rearched by a spring shop or by you to get them installed?

If by a spring shop they must have been the wrong springs. Can't believe a reputable company would sell a spring that needs to be rearched.

If by you just to install them I don't get it. If they were too long the shackle would be at its maximum rearward travel before you installed them. If you arched the springs them to get them installed they would be preloaded with the shackle travel maxed out so it couldn't move to allow the the springs to flatten out.

Not hassling you, just trying to understand.

There have been a one or two threads recently where the spring was too short to install with the shackle all the way forward. They had to be flattened a little to to get them in. Once the weight of the vehicle was on them there was no problem. Maybe down travel would be limited a little. I thought you were one of those guys.

Mudder, if you install those springs what would the shackle look like? How far would it be angled back?

Maybe they're for a truck? Can someone say if trucks have longer springs than Cherks and Wags?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

I don't know if they were the wrong springs but the shop I bought them from (RC distributor) mentioned they had to be arched. When I installed them they needed some flex to put in, but they fit ok. Over time they have relaxed down and aren't as stiff. I think i was explaining it backwards you're right. They used to be taller now are shorter. I did buy the kit from Rough Country that was the spring kit from their website then a dude went into the back and about 15 minutes later brought out 4 springs and box of hardware. The ones on the rear are labelled as "8023"

Just to see, I looked around their website and I didn't see the same springs offered anymore. Maybe they stopped making those ones and now put something that's "close enough" in the kit? I can't imagine they sell a lot of lift kits for FSJs.

Topic author
Mudders

Post by Mudders »

Mudders wrote:Can anyone help with what leaf springs I might have? The Jeep is a fullsize 1980 Cherokee and I ordered a Rough country 3" lift. Complete lift all new leaf springs! First off the front leaf springs were a treat because the u bolts were wrong size. And now the rear leafs are the wrong size ! And Rough Country says there a exact fit. Called BDS and they say there right also. Tried to call Skyjacker but they didn't want to help. The center pin isn't even close. Here's a couple photos for comparison ImageImageImage

Got the Waggy back on the road Image

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

So it ended up working?

fsj454

Post by fsj454 »

I NEW IT WOULD WORK. Cherokee :-bd
:fsj:454.nv4500.205.twin stick.hydo boost. hydrolic clutch.dana 60s.soa.37s 17inch.tration bar.warn 1200. 4 wheel disc.aero29 gallon .conferr roof rack.spal pulse width modulation.spal duel fans.painless battery isolator.duel batterys.factory cb. headers 2 1/2 duels.4.56 Detroit locker.alloy 35 spline axles.stainless brake lines .holley 770.edelbrock.fuel.water.intake.H4s.head light relays.racho 9000 shocks.rock ram.steering box brace.j20 steering box.msd8265 probillet distributor.msd super conductor wires.

Topic author
Mudders

Post by Mudders »

Renodemona wrote:So it ended up working?
Had to use blocks in the rear

Topic author
Mudders

Post by Mudders »

Mudders wrote:
Mudders wrote:Can anyone help with what leaf springs I might have? The Jeep is a fullsize 1980 Cherokee and I ordered a Rough country 3" lift. Complete lift all new leaf springs! First off the front leaf springs were a treat because the u bolts were wrong size. And now the rear leafs are the wrong size ! And Rough Country says there a exact fit. Called BDS and they say there right also. Tried to call Skyjacker but they didn't want to help. The center pin isn't even close. Here's a couple photos for comparison ImageImageImage

Got the Waggy back on the road Image

Tired! Image

fsj454

Post by fsj454 »

HEY MUDDERS what spring did you use with the block old or new spring .Nice Cherokee :fsj:
:fsj:454.nv4500.205.twin stick.hydo boost. hydrolic clutch.dana 60s.soa.37s 17inch.tration bar.warn 1200. 4 wheel disc.aero29 gallon .conferr roof rack.spal pulse width modulation.spal duel fans.painless battery isolator.duel batterys.factory cb. headers 2 1/2 duels.4.56 Detroit locker.alloy 35 spline axles.stainless brake lines .holley 770.edelbrock.fuel.water.intake.H4s.head light relays.racho 9000 shocks.rock ram.steering box brace.j20 steering box.msd8265 probillet distributor.msd super conductor wires.

FSJRomanGladiator

Post by FSJRomanGladiator »

So I have a 74 j10. Apparently the 73-74 rears are special due to the pin that is in front eyelid.

That said I went skyjacker. I had actually an awesome experience thus far.

I ordered the JP40RS and JP40FS. No issues on front. Rear waiting for arrival.

I also ordered their ubolt kit and noticed they give qty to do both front and rear but it is not meant that way - they give “options” to ensure a combination fits. End of day the kit provided perfect fit. Also had the bushings.

Rear I will have to get the ubolt kit as well. They have one with blocks and one without, but the springs JP40RS does not require the blocks. It gives the 3-4 inch already.

Hopefully that helps. I bought off amazon as they were $30 cheaper per leaf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'15 Grand Cherokee 4X4 - Altitude - Blacked Out
'74 J10 - (restoring) 383 Stroker; TH400 Trans, Dana 44's 4.10 gear, Dana 20 TC. 4" Lift from Skyjacker;

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

FSJRomanGladiator wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:56 pm So I have a 74 j10. Apparently the 73-74 rears are special due to the pin that is in front eyelid.

I also ordered their ubolt kit and noticed they give qty to do both front and rear but it is not meant that way - they give “options” to ensure a combination fits. End of day the kit provided perfect fit. Also had the bushings.

Rear I will have to get the ubolt kit as well. They have one with blocks and one without, but the springs JP40RS does not require the blocks. It gives the 3-4 inch already.

I don't want to hyjack this thread too much. But you should be aware that not only will skyjacker springs not work for you in back, but there is two different length springs used in 75 and older J-Trucks, and there was two different sizes for the post mount. To my knowledge, Hell Creek is pretty much your only bet for rear springs.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Mudders

Post by Mudders »

fsj454 wrote:HEY MUDDERS what spring did you use with the block old or new spring .Nice Cherokee :fsj:
Gosh I had to use my old springs it was nothing short of a nightmare trying to figure it out.

FSJRomanGladiator

Mudders wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:38 pm
fsj454 wrote:HEY MUDDERS what spring did you use with the block old or new spring .Nice Cherokee :fsj:
Gosh I had to use my old springs it was nothing short of a nightmare trying to figure it out.

I hear you. I am in the middle of mine right now for the rear - and yes i have a 74. :banghead:

Me and the post mounts are becoming very much acquainted.
'74 J10 - (restoring) 383 Stroker; TH400 Trans, Dana 44's 4.10 gear, Dana 20 TC. 4" Lift from Skyjacker;

mjdriver

Post by mjdriver »

Stuka wrote:
FSJRomanGladiator wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:56 pm So I have a 74 j10. Apparently the 73-74 rears are special due to the pin that is in front eyelid.

I don't want to hyjack this thread too much. But you should be aware that not only will skyjacker springs not work for you in back, but there is two different length springs used in 75 and older J-Trucks, and there was two different sizes for the post mount. To my knowledge, Hell Creek is pretty much your only bet for rear springs.
Sorry not trying to hi Jack too much here, but I was wondering if the skyjacker 74 j10 4" kit with blocks in rear would work with my 73 j2000?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

mjdriver wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:55 am
Stuka wrote:

Sorry not trying to hi Jack too much here, but I was wondering if the skyjacker 74 j10 4" kit with blocks in rear would work with my 73 j2000?

'73 should have post mount springs up front (very late ones may have the 74+ setup?). You can easily tell this by looking at your front springs. Do they mount under the frame, or on the side of the frame. If they are post mount (side of the frame), then the 74 kit will not work. In which case you need to contact Hell Creek, as I believe them to be the only ones that make a post mount kit.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

mjdriver

Post by mjdriver »

Stuka wrote:
mjdriver wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:55 am
Stuka wrote: I don't want to hyjack this thread too much. But you should be aware that not only will skyjacker springs not work for you in back, but there is two different length springs used in 75 and older J-Trucks, and there was two different sizes for the post mount. To my knowledge, Hell Creek is pretty much your only bet for rear springs.

'73 should have post mount springs up front (very late ones may have the 74+ setup?). You can easily tell this by looking at your front springs. Do they mount under the frame, or on the side of the frame. If they are post mount (side of the frame), then the 74 kit will not work. In which case you need to contact Hell Creek, as I believe them to be the only ones that make a post mount kit.
It is post mount, just wasn't sure if 74 was post mount in the front. Want to cover all options before hellcreek. Thanks for the reply.

FSJRomanGladiator

74 is in the back only. i just replaced them without going to Hell Creek. They were very kind but wanted over $2K for a full set. I just can not afford that.

I put in the elbow grease and it worked out well. i might start a thread on it with all the skus and part numbers - in short bought the skyjacker JP40RS rear and used the OEM main spring. Replaced bushings and all good. The ride height did not change for me from 3" block with OEM springs to the 4" soft spring from Skyjacker.

I did advise Skyjacker to change the JP40RS applications years to 76 on their website.