1982 J Honcho Sport Side Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Re: 1982 J Honcho Sport Side Build

Post by FLeetFox »

Thank you Jim!

Back at it. So with the bed box finally complete, and all of the other pieces fixed and primed, it was time to put it all together for a mock up to see how everything fits together. Empty cradle, feels good:

Image[/url]0811191524 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

almost...

Image[/url]0811191526 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

and there:

Image[/url]0811191527 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0811191525 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]0811191525c by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

You can kinda see in the last pic the aux. fuel tank is sorta in there. It's a 33 gal tank from the last series of 2 door blazers. It's a big tank and does hang down a bit. The idea was to get it in there for the mock up so i could see just were to mount the straps and how to route the filler lines. I'll detail the dual tank set up later in the build for those interested.

I am looking for some feedback from the forum on one thing that showed it self here. The step end of the sport side flares seems to be curled up. Has anyone here experienced this with the BJ's replacements? Part of me says "leave it be." The really type A part of me knows it should follow the line of the box fairing. The idea of cutting these and reworking them with glass mat and filler makes me cringe. Please tell me what y'all think.

Image[/url]0811191525b by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Left side has a similar bow.

Anyways, next week the project is to finish tweaking all the bed parts so they're ready for paint and them begin disassembly.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

SOLSAKS

Post by SOLSAKS »

Mock up looks really good.
we all know you are glad to get to this point.
I agree on the curled up ends on the fiberglass panels.

hope someone chimes in on their ideas/experiences.

dave in NC :)

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Yea, you gotta fix those step ends.. you have come too far not to. Once it is painted, you will never be able to look past them when you sit back and admire your effort. Odd and a bit concerning that they didn’t ID that in quality control. Any chance of having them send you out a pair that are correct?
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Are you sure you have to cut them? What happens if you push them into place? Does the fender buckle somewhere else?

What's the vendor say? Do the pichers on their site look like that? I'd be asking for a set that fit or contacting the CC company unless it's too late.

I've never tried heat with glass parts but maybe some heat lamps would allow some reforming if necessary. Might cause bubbles in the gel coat.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Isnt there a support bracket that holds them in place? Maybe, that bracket will pull them into place and with a little heat and time they'll relax and fit properly?..

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

To me, it looks like those fiberglass stepside/thriftside fenders came out of a mold that was made like that and that nobody at the manufacturer noticed it. Hard to believe but I wonder if the original molds were taken off a fender that had a step that was already bent up like that? Or, something made the part pop up a bit out of the mold when curing. I don't think heat will work that well because like others said, it will probably harm the gelcoat. Didn't another member, maybe Duston Langston, have trouble with a set of these stepside replacement fenders too?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Wow, thank you for all the responses. Here's what I can tell you.

There's really 1 supplier for these. They have the molds. The website listing does appear to show them with similar tweeks. Those pics have been added since I made my purchase. The fact remains, if you need these, they're the only game in town. My truck came with only one of the originals and it's in sad shape. It almost looks to me like the new ones were pulled out of the molds before the resins cured, hence the malformations.

JPSWAP is right, I need to fix these, 'cause it will bug me forever.

There are brackets on each side that the step portion is glued to, but the step itself doesn't just curve up in the direction you see in the one photograph, it's kinda of twisted. I've been cruising the corvette forums to see what guys there do to fudge there panels, but it hasn't been a lot of help. The general consensus is that heat works for a little tweak, but i need more than that.

I am planning on reaching out to Dustin soon, about his steps and a few other sport side specific questions. I believe his glass issues where with WT front fenders and from a different vendor.

So here's where my head is at. I have about 6 weeks left before the warm weather is gone. My shop is not heated The motor is done and the rest of the drive train is ready to be installed as well. I need to get paint on. The big body work is all done. Now it's just my OCD, Type A and all that kicking in. Going over every inch with 400 wet and spot putty. Another weekend or two and I think it will be ready for sealer and top coats. Please keep in mind, I really only get 2-3 weekends a month to work on the truck at this point. I think I'm going to a week off in September and just get it prepped and painted.

I'm not sure if I made a strategic error in tackling the bed this summer. I may have. I began working it in June and now it's September. The logic at the time was it would be too hot to paint in August, and I could get the bed done, painted and put it in the barn for the winter. I may have outsmarted myself a bit there. The idea being to use the winter for setting the drivetrain, doing the dash and electrics, finishing up brake system, A/C, plus body reassembly etc.. I'm not pressed for time, but I am pressed for space, plus moving forward is the best inspiration to keep...moving forward.

Thanks again for the input guys, I'm going to paint the bed and all of it's parts and put these steps aside until spring. I'm thinking some relief cuts, some heat and twisting,may get things to where I want them. But anyway it goes, I'm going to want them right, and it's going to take a lot of time.

Wouldn't be an update with out a pic or 2. These are courtesy of Rick Jones, the builder (sc/397) at the Mothership. They are his pictures. 2nd is a video.

Image[/url]IMG_2061 by Rick Jones, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]IMG_2066(1) by Rick Jones, on Flickr[/img]

Until next update,

Fleet Fox

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Overdue update. Been workin away at this truck in a kind of schizophrenic way the past weeks, but things are getting done. The bed's been pulled off and the rest of the mock up dismantled down to just the cab.

Image[/url]0907192210 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Rebuilt and extended the existing booth into a new spray booth:

Image[/url]0915191659 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Purchased paint and clear and started shooting:

Image[/url]0916191943 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Painting is hard. It's frustrating. It took me a while to get the gun dialed in right. I shot the bed fairings and the tailgate early. Everything went fine with the sealer and the base coats, but I screwed up the clear coat royally and ended up with a bunch of orange peel. This was 2 weeks ago. So i put everything down and took some time away. Had a few conversations with the guys at the paint store and did a few test panels the following weekend with better results. Went ahead and shot the main bed this past weekend and I'm happier with the results. The clear will need some sanding and buffing, there are a few runs, but it's all very fixable with some elbow grease. This is a bad picture because there's a ton of reflection from the sunlight in the clear, but it gives you an idea of the finished color.

Image[/url]0924191219a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

In the meantime Rick Jones, the engine builder, offered to deliver the engine in person and I had to take him up on it. We unloaded the finished product into my neighbor's garage for the meantime until I'm done painting:

Image[/url]0923191700 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

After that we had a nice dinner and a few beverages and literally spent 14 or 15 hours talking Jeeps, AMC, cars basically anything with a motor. A great visit. I can't say enough about the finished product and my experience dealing with him. The level of workmanship is top drawer from his horse(power) breeding farm. I sent him a tired 140 hp 360 covered in mud and oil and he returned to me a bored and stroked 383 motor knocking on the door of 400 hp that gleams at every angle. If you're seriously thinking about doing a AMC power plant build, I recommend at least talking to him as part of that process. From stock to fully blown, the things that he can do with these engines are nearly limitless when it comes to possibilities. I can't wait to set this thing in the engine bay.

Until next time, I'll be in the booth, wet sanding, cleaning and laying down more paint.

Fleet Fox
Last edited by FLeetFox on Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

This is what my step pad looked like from BJ's. This was about 2 years ago and came from those same molds. It definitely points up a little. But yours seems pretty extreme.Image

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Hey Dustin, thanks for your response. I definitely see some similarities in yours. Did you bolt the step pad to the frame wing bracket plate? And did you use epoxy or some kind of adhesive to glue the plate to the step?

Fleet Fox

SC397

Post by SC397 »

Mr. FleetFox posing with his new Mill.
4.155" bore x 3.53" stroke. Crank machined to 2" rod journals.
ImageIMG_2308 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

I remember using a two part epoxy on the step. It held really well.
I remember bolting the bracket on and trying to get the step down to the pad. I remember that I had to do some massaging to the brack to get it closer. In the end I think I remember having to drill a new hole on one side. I may have even "pointed" the fender down a little and raised it in the back. I'll go through my pictures some more and try to fi d some more detailed pictures.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

You’ve come a long way since you have started and it is looking great!

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

66 Stepside, much appreciated and thank you. Still a long ways to go but making forward progress.

Dustin, looks like yours had similar issues, and by the way your describing the fitting process, I'm right there too. Thank you for the tip on the epoxy, i was thinking about using that Loctite 2 part marine epoxy as well. 3 Additional questions

1. Did you reinforce the mounting flange with metal brackets or just trust it to do it's job as is?

2. Mine came with only one busted step in the bed. Is there supposed to be a rod bracket that goes from the rear bottom corner of the fiberglass to the bed box on both sides in the rear? Similar to the very front of the outer front fenders to the radiator support?

3. Did you use any type of gasket material between the fiberglass and the metal bedside?

Thanks again,

Fleet Fox

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

The metal bracket is pretty strong alone. But I never really expected to use them. I did step on each side once just to see if it would bend and it didn't.
I don't remember any metal rods going to the back of the fenders. I know the steel J10 beds have them, but I don't remember any on the fiberglass fenders.
I did not use any gasket. I used single stage paint and figured if they did rub and scratch it would be easy enough to wet sand and polish out. But in regular daily use they weren't rubbing.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

All good info, thank you.

http://wagoneers.com/rigs/SuperDawg-83- ... 040134.jpg

I doubt many of these have survived. I think i can make them from bar stock and left over pieces i have.

Don't ask me how I found this site, but it completely photo documents the disassembly of a sport side and has been a valuable resource to me so far. Not going concours obviously, just factory highly modified.

http://wagoneers.com/rigs/SuperDawg-83- ... -Aug-2001/

2001, now 2019, I hope this truck is alive and well somewhere.

Fleet Fox

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

So I have spent the past month of weekends painting panels, the cab and everything I can that's ready before the cold weather arrives. At this point all that's left is the hood and a few interior pieces. I am not a painter, this fact has become very obvious as I move along. Base coats go fine, but I just can't get the clear right in one shot. Cheap gun, less than perfect conditions, low skill level etc.. So I have some peel and some runs. I have 5 months of winter to sand and buff them out, which at this point is fine with me. I guess I will attack that in sections and pieces, just like all the other body work. The good news is with most of it in paint, I can put the drive train in and begin reassembly.

Here is a bad shot of the cab after paint and clear:

Image[/url]1005191811b by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

I want to get the bed out of the shop for now to make room for the next stage. Shot it with raptor liner after paint. Nice product, easy application. Mask well when using this stuff. Turned out good, I am pleased.

Image[/url]1012191339 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]1012191637a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Image[/url]1012191637 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

Off to the barn it goes for a few months. I ran out of exterior paint, so I decided to paint the dash and some other interior items. This product is a SEM product and can be used on metal, plastics, even fabric and carpet. Single stage, just open the can and pour into the gun, went on like a dream. 2 quick coats, short flash times. Loved this stuff compared to the base/ clear system in terms of application.

Image[/url]1013192020 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

I have been told I get 2 more unfettered weekends to work on the truck and then I have some other responsibilities I need to tend to; so I'm going to make a marathon session of them to get the hood done and then set the engine, trans and t-case. I will try to take some pictures along the way and post them up.

Thanks for reading,

Fleet Fox

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

FLeetFox wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:19 pmI have been told I get 2 more unfettered weekends to work on the truck and then I have some other responsibilities I need to tend to;
I like this part. I can relate! :P
Seriously, I bet that green will look nice, smooth, and deep after this winter's sanding and buffing. Cool!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Quick update! been away for a month and busy with life and other things. I am happy to report however that some further progress has been made on the Honcho. All the painting I want to do (for now) is done and most of the body parts are being warehoused in a spare bedroom. We will not be having guests till spring I guess... Bed is out to the barn for a while, and it was time to finally set the drive train.

this:
Image[/url]1020191532a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

plus this:

Image[/url]1020191532 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

equals this:

Image[/url]1027190030 by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

with the obligatory buttt pucker moment in between:

Image[/url]1025192251a by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

We exhaled deeply and took a satisfactory look around the now half empty shop. Felt really good. Had a warm spell here and there so I've been able to cutt and buff many of the flaws out of the cab paint. It's about 80% of the way there. They really bother me, so if it's above 50, that's what gets worked on.

This truck started out w/ a 360/727/np208. I decided to switch to a TH400 and keep the NP208 using a Novak adapter. Bolting the units together was easy, now comes the interesting part. The new combo is at least 4 inches longer than the original set up. So, rebuilt driveshafts, modified shift linkage, rewiring for the different kickdown setup and locating all the shift linkage from the column to the trans, which I don't have. This will definitely be tackled in pieces. I will likely start with the shifter linkage, since I have those parts already.

Laying out goals before year end, because if I put it in writing, the odds of it getting done increase 10 fold:

1. power steering pump and upgraded alternator, brackets etc...
2. finish the braking system, completely, including the parking brake
3.install the auxiliary rear fuel tank, wiring, switch-over and plumbing
4. begin sound and heat proofing cab interior
5. begin adapting the main wiring harness/ fuse block for the modifications <this should be a blast...

One more shot of Rick's motor in it's new home. So nice..

Image[/url]1027190031b by highsiera, on Flickr[/img]

More to come. If anyone here has done a similar 360/th400/np208 swap, please PM me. I have a few questions I want to bounce off of you.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

Fleet Fox

ldecan

Post by ldecan »

Sportside rebuild, yes the steps on the my aftermarket fiberglass fenders were also turned upward. There is no doubt in my mind that there is an issue with the mold (I suspect that the molds are not reinforced well enough).

I went ahead and repaired the fenders so that they are correct (see attached pic). It should be noted here that in fact the step is not only turned upward but is also twisted so when repairing them I had to modify one side of the step more than the other. I was able to do it with out removing the step.

An additional couple points of interest. The stock fenders do have chronic problems with cracking and breakage. I modified, repaired, and reinforced the new fenders in these areas. In the new fenders, look for worm holes and repair them where they added the internal flange for mounting the fenders. Also, check that the internal mounting flange is flat across the whole fender. Finally, I filled, block sanded and primed the new fenders before installing them as they were not flat or true.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.