FSSR Questions - Mild Baja/Prerunner Setup

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Re: FSSR Questions - Mild Baja/Prerunner Setup

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

rocklaurence wrote:Sorry for the delays but I wasnt happy with the brackets and had new ones made for testing. The new ones look spot-on and I expect to have a product with pricing available soon.
Got any pictures? We all love pictures!
1990 Grand Wagoneer
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16762

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Hey Rocky, I’m still game to upload pictures to my imgur and post them here to show off your new FSSR. Let me know if that would help.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I have an Imgur account and will post some pictures soon. Believe it or not the only thing Im messing with is the length and position of the shackles. They need to be low profile but not limit travel. I'm almost there....

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Excellent! I’m excited to see what you’ve come up with!

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

OK, I just couldn't leave "Well Enough " alone. The rear shackles that I'm running on the Long Spring system hang down 6". It functions great but I'm concerned with it dragging when off road. I need something with a lower profile. Sooooo, I'm developing a Slider Box that will be less than 3" from the frame rail. Ill post some pictures soon.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

OK, a big SNAG with the Long Spring suspension. After building and installing the Slider Box, the springs dont provide enough lift/support. I developed the entier suspension around these springs and now need to re-evaluate weather to go with custom springs or extra leafs. I guess the issue is related to the Shackles providing some tension relative to rotation vs spring extension. The Slider Box is passive allowing the spring to relax. I'll keep working on it and update the thread as progress is made. :cry: 8-)

Jeepin87

Post by Jeepin87 »

Hey Rocklaurence any update? Pretty interested in longer front springs, what did you do with the offset pin? I run slider boxes on my crawler, they get beat up pretty easily in the rocks. I have to straighten mine out and reinforce them somehow. Much smoother than shackles and I also don't get any axle wrap, mine are up front in a reversal position like what you are trying (except mine are on a spring over YJ usuing modified Rancho 44044RS springs) So far they work great, I running a warm 401 with 42" pitbulls and wontons and they've stood up to the weight and torque just fine.

For the others, I ran the FSSR on a 4 door cherokee I built a while back. I ran 33x10.50 on it (had to trim front fenders), I had no steering or ill handling issues with no sway bar and no track bar (didn't come on that model anyway). I also ran the stock driveshaft and stock shackles in the rear with zero issues and I did wheel it. Best riding FSJ I've ever been in, it only had 24k original miles and it was a 6cyl too so it had the softest springs offered. The only thing I didn't like was the brake dive, drove great otherwise. It was built as a driver, I prefer shackles up front for wheeling.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Im currently working with several spring manufacturers on a Helper Spring or New Spring Pack to handle the weight. Im also considering a UHMW boot on the rear of the spring that rides in the Slider Box. The boot would elliminate the slider bearings or wear bushings between the spring and box. In regard to the Slider Box durability, it will be built with a bottom plate to prevent crushing/callapsing and to keep the spring/boot from dropping out. The rear spring and boot would be prevented from pulling out via two bolts/pins.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Regarding the springs, Im putting in an order for a Custom spring with Alcan. I will be testing the spring over a period of months and make adjustments as needed to ensure that it is the best riding suspension on the market!!

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

OK, the process is on-going. I received my 2nd set of prototype springs--the first set Sagged. I'll be installing them over the Holidays and will run them for a period of time before going to Market. However, everything else regarding the kit [Shock mount and Bump-stop, rear slider box, front driveshaft, steering] are finished and proven.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

So, this process has taken a lot longer than I would have liked. With my design changes and two sets of prototype springs its creeping up on two years. However, the setup is looking promising. First, the new Springs are holding up well and ride really soft while providing 5" of lift. Second, I made UHMW slider pads to replace the roller bearings. The bearings worked well but were wearing into the Slider Box [not allowed to happen]. The pads are now the wear item and can be easily replaced when needed. Lastly, I'll be placing a request to get all the new brackets/parts made to provide them to market.

Zeppe807

Post by Zeppe807 »

rocklaurence wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:31 am So, this process has taken a lot longer than I would have liked. With my design changes and two sets of prototype springs its creeping up on two years. However, the setup is looking promising. First, the new Springs are holding up well and ride really soft while providing 5" of lift. Second, I made UHMW slider pads to replace the roller bearings. The bearings worked well but were wearing into the Slider Box [not allowed to happen]. The pads are now the wear item and can be easily replaced when needed. Lastly, I'll be placing a request to get all the new brackets/parts made to provide them to market.
I would be interested in this system: if I can continue to run my 38s. I am currently running rancho springs with stock shackles up front, SOA, CUCV Dana 60, high steer, and no sway bars. I would like to talk to you if you think it would work with your application. I'm currently posting my build progress on Instagram on my page: Zeppe807. I currently have it on jack stands while waiting for my 401 to be built, eta: Feb.

I would love to get some more travel and better ride out of my front.

Thanks!
Joe

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I would be interested in this system: if I can continue to run my 38s. I am currently running rancho springs with stock shackles up front, SOA, CUCV Dana 60, high steer, and no sway bars. I would like to talk to you if you think it would work with your application. I'm currently posting my build progress on Instagram on my page: Zeppe807. I currently have it on jack stands while waiting for my 401 to be built, eta: Feb.

Thanks!
Joe
[/quote]
Would you continue with the SOA/high steer setup? My suspension is setup to easily run a 35/36" tire on a J10/J20/Wide Track. A 4 door Wagoneer rear is a different story [small tubs]. However, Im certain that the addition of a body lift would provide enough room for 38's

Zeppe807

Post by Zeppe807 »

rocklaurence wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:09 am I would be interested in this system: if I can continue to run my 38s. I am currently running rancho springs with stock shackles up front, SOA, CUCV Dana 60, high steer, and no sway bars. I would like to talk to you if you think it would work with your application. I'm currently posting my build progress on Instagram on my page: Zeppe807. I currently have it on jack stands while waiting for my 401 to be built, eta: Feb.

Thanks!
Joe
Would you continue with the SOA/high steer setup? My suspension is setup to easily run a 35/36" tire on a J10/J20/Wide Track. A 4 door Wagoneer rear is a different story [small tubs]. However, Im certain that the addition of a body lift would provide enough room for 38's
[/quote]

Yeah, I have spring over currently and plan to stay that way. I have a body lift and my fenders are cut. I am about 24" clearance under my frame at the drivers door. (Just a reference point). I have pictures if that would help. :fsj:

I'm @zeppe807 on Instagram if you're on that platform
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zeppe807

Post by Zeppe807 »

I guess the pictures I uploaded didn't work.

https://instagram.com/zeppe807

There are more pictures in there

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

My front spring pack has 9 leaf's. So, I believe the FSSR would set a little higher than your current Ranchos [but would resist Spring Wrap]. My concern would be the front drive shaft angle and the extra Droop involved with my longer springs.

Zeppe807

Post by Zeppe807 »

rocklaurence wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:13 am My front spring pack has 9 leaf's. So, I believe the FSSR would set a little higher than your current Ranchos [but would resist Spring Wrap]. My concern would be the front drive shaft angle and the extra Droop involved with my longer springs.
That is an issue. I currently am working on getting the pinion agle right on this Dana 60 front because it is not correct, and it needs to be fixed. It does limit out the droop, but I will get that figured out soon. I keep tossing around moving the front forward about an inch as well.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Im rounding the corner on the project. Im putting together the Improved Slider boxes [and will sell a version as a Universal]. Plus, the springs are holding up as expected.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I want to keep posting the progress I'm making to keep this thread in front. First, I'm currently waiting on the Final Edition Rear Slider boxes to be built. These Boxes are 1/4" plate with 1/2" stock as the slides, and front and rear gusseting. In the past, Durability has always seemed to be a concern relative to Sliders. These are Durable. Secondly, the Springs, Sliders, Bump-stops, steering and the front drive shaft are all in their final consideration and I should be going to market soon. Again, this will be a Modular System that will allow you to continuously build and "Better" the suspension as funds and circumstances change and the goal is to have a lifted suspension that rides Softer with more travel than any other setup out there.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Still excited to see the results!