FastEddie J10 restomod

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: FastEddie J10 restomod

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Out of curiosity, why so insistent on the internal e-brake?

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

D35 flange for rear internal e- brakeImageImage
You can see the lip on the inside of plate that pushes against axle bearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

sonoraed wrote:
Stuka wrote:Really, no 6x5.5, thats a pretty common lug pattern. Tons of GM and Toyotas use it.
6 on 5.5 available for front disc's in single piece or hat with bolt on rotors, but for 12.19 rear disc with internal e-brake-no. I've spent considerable time looking for a way to do internal e-brake on a old Dana 44 and non C clip Dana 35 seemed to be a close fit (other than for flange bolt pattern)
There is a You Tube vid of a guy installing rear disc from a mid 90's Grand Chero onto a early Cherokee (D35 non C clip) so could have modded a oem Jeep D35 setup which would been a steel backing plate (just weld up old mounting holes and redrill) but wanted to have have matching Wilwood calipers, the only thing about the aluminum Wilwood backing plate is it's 1/4" thick and the old drum plate is 1/8" thick (which along with flange sets preload for axle bearing) so in my mind there are two ways to solve this problem either use original D44 flange plate and mill the Wilwood (in the shape of oem flange) down to 1/8" thickness or leave backing 1/4" and fabricate a new flange out of 1/4" steel in the shape of old flange bolt pattern and mill it down to 1/8" everywhere but a center where it preloads axle bearing, jeep did this on newer D35's, I'll download a picture.
Hey Ed, how about some punctuation!!!???
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Yeah I know I suck at English!
Started off we couldn't get the modified e-brake cables to work with the drum brakes later found out the outer cable housings were flexing too much
Then the rear diff started to leak where the tubes went into carrier (just a slight drip), First test drive let me know we needed to change ring and pinion gears
I kind of wanted to installed rear disc brakes but have seen too many hot rods in my shop with the Caddy calipers(only kit I could find) that function as caliper and park brake and knew they were not a good way to go, i.e. the park brake didn't hold and didn't improve braking.
Started to look around for 79 J10 Dana 44 rear internal disc brakes but no one makes a kit and since my rear diff still had the axle out after welding and gears might as well make it happen, hopefully master cylinder and brake bias will not have to be delt with time will tell.
SEMA is my goal so perfection and things trick are name of the game!!

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Got the backing plates back from machine shop today,they did a great job everything lines up and axle bearing preload is correctImageImageImage
Had to trim axle flange diameter a bit and bevel edges to fit rotor hat, drilled blank rotors to 6 on 5.5, Steve took a drill bit the diameter of the axle stud hole and made a sharp point at the top to center punch a reference for drilling, used a 1/2” rotabroach to drill holes in rotor
Next have to center calipers to rotors,brake line
and ebrake cables

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Really cool that you are getting these to work.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Stuka wrote:Really cool that you are getting these to work.
Thanks, hoping backing plate thickness of 1/8" (was 1/4") works, should have asked Wilwood if blank plates were available, but at least know this can be done!

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Thought I’d add some pics of the finished rear brakesImage
Installed a disc/disc combo valve from BJ’s Image
Finally onto the interior!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Working on the doors,outer window wipes installed,Image

Positioning arm rests, their from Big Al’s in San Andreas , Ca. They have the pw switch’s on the leading edge along with led lights on the bottom, someone will get a good laugh at these 20 years from now

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Where'd you get the outer wipes? Any issues? There've been posts of guys having problems with them.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Because the glass is one piece we had to make them from 4 foot pieces from Steele

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Finally started on the interior yesterday! Dash board was already in , layed down the carpet ( almost fit!!) installed the seats and console and went for ride.
Got admit the 456 gears made a big difference, brakes are superb, no rear lockup and almost put you thru the windshield when you stand on them!
Now onto chasing all the details , shift points, door panel, wiring, getting close.ImageImage

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Finally started on the interior yesterday! Dash board was already in , layed down the carpet ( almost fit!!) installed the seats and console and went for ride.
Got admit the 456 gears made a big difference, brakes are superb, no rear lockup and almost put you thru the windshield when you stand on them!
Now onto chasing all the details , shift points, door panel, wiring, getting close.ImageImage

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Love what you've done with the rear brakes!! I've been working on in-hat e brakes for the semifloat J4000 dana 60 I'm building and this gives me some serious ideas!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

sonoraed wrote:Working on the doors,outer window wipes installed,Image

Positioning arm rests, their from Big Al’s in San Andreas , Ca. They have the pw switch’s on the leading edge along with led lights on the bottom, someone will get a good laugh at these 20 years from now

Got some pics of the arm rests?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Wow, you guys do awsome work and the customer should be very happy..

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

That a cameo pickup in the window reflection?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

rocklaurence wrote:Wow, you guys do awsome work and the customer should be very happy..
In this case, Ed is the customer (of the J-Truck). The Chevy is somebody else's.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]Got some pics of the arm rests?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk[/quote]

http://www.bigalscarponents.com/index.cfm
Here is their website, they make lots of different arm rest and door pulls, nice people.

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:That a cameo pickup in the window reflection?
The truck in the reflection is a 63 C10 my son Steve is building to sell, as is his style the truck's over the top perfection,small block TBI, 700 R4, Vintage air magnum,creme top with gold bottom,dakota digital instruments,frame off most everything gone thru, will sell for around $60-70,000, lots of time and money in builds like it.