Who's rocking a dash cover?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Who's rocking a dash cover?

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Just ordered a dash cover for my '77 and wondering who all is running one? I've always thought these looked cheesy but it sure beats a cracked dash!
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

will e

Re: Who's rocking a dash cover?

Post by will e »

I will be interested in pics. I don't have a dash cover, well, it's covered in dust from the trail, but mine is also cracked.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

letank

Post by letank »

I have been using outside carpeting from the local home improvement center, cut to fit, it helps with glare for those of us who have shinny dashboards.... or black ones to cut off the heat absorption.

I ordered one too a month ago of these already fit for our riggs from .... need to find link, it have the dropped face at the passenger side, pict to follow latter. The velcro attachments do not glue up very well, but it has not shifted on the street, I probably need to use better glue, but my dash is good.... so I am not in a rush to use staples to attach the velcro
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

What brand and where did you order it? Mine is cracked at the speaker hole, so I might just put a grate over it but I'm also weighing a carpet cover.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

I have one that I ordered last year but I have yet to put it on... it doesn't quite fit and doesn't match the color, but like you, it beats a cracked dash. I will post pics when it's on.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

I've always thought that one could make a nice one out of vinyl with some type of mass backing to give it weight. Never made one yet though. I just keep repairing the cracks
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

letank

Post by letank »

REDONE wrote:What brand and where did you order it? Mine is cracked at the speaker hole, so I might just put a grate over it but I'm also weighing a carpet cover.
probably amagone, around $30ish, in january 2019

Last edited by letank on Tue May 07, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel

fsj454

Post by fsj454 »

I purchase a black dash mat 25 years ago . It is fitted carpet with rolled edges fits perfect been in jeeps all its life in the sun and it is still as black as day one with embroidered logo . Dash mat. This mat is so old I purchased the same time I bought Con-ferr roof rack witch is still on jeep
:fsj:454.nv4500.205.twin stick.hydo boost. hydrolic clutch.dana 60s.soa.37s 17inch.tration bar.warn 1200. 4 wheel disc.aero29 gallon .conferr roof rack.spal pulse width modulation.spal duel fans.painless battery isolator.duel batterys.factory cb. headers 2 1/2 duels.4.56 Detroit locker.alloy 35 spline axles.stainless brake lines .holley 770.edelbrock.fuel.water.intake.H4s.head light relays.racho 9000 shocks.rock ram.steering box brace.j20 steering box.msd8265 probillet distributor.msd super conductor wires.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Mine isnt cracked just warped by the vents for the windsheild.. i found one in fairly good shape in the salvage yard. Its in storage just too lazy to take my dash out
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

will e

Post by will e »

candymancan wrote:Mine isnt cracked just warped by the vents for the windsheild.. i found one in fairly good shape in the salvage yard. Its in storage just too lazy to take my dash out
That's not lazy. Taking the dash apart is not a one hour or even one day job. :)
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

REDONE wrote:What brand and where did you order it? Mine is cracked at the speaker hole, so I might just put a grate over it but I'm also weighing a carpet cover.
I got mine through Covercraft.com.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

My 89 waggy had one on it when I got it. I took it off and the dash was pristine under it. Put it right back on.
79 Cherokee 5.3/4l65E/NP241C
79 CJ7

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

will e wrote:
candymancan wrote:Mine isnt cracked just warped by the vents for the windsheild.. i found one in fairly good shape in the salvage yard. Its in storage just too lazy to take my dash out
That's not lazy. Taking the dash apart ihus not a one hour or even one day job. :)
Its being lazy lol.. i need to fix more stuff on my Jeep but i dont feel like lol im just daily driving it and saying f the wrench. Havent really worked on it in a year now.

I csn take the dash out in a few hours or less. I took this one out in the junkyard in like 2 hours. I wont remove the windsheild either ill slice under the windsheild gasket and cut the vinyl off. After i took the windsheild out in the salvage yard to get to the bolts i realized the vinyl dash pad was bolted on by the thin vinyl itself.. and after 30 years the bolted sliced thr vinyl and it was so brittle the bolts werent even holding it lol. It was the windsheild gasket pushing it down holding it.

So if i just slice it under the windsheild and take all the gazzilion mini bolts off it should just slide out and slide the new one in under the windsheild gasket and bolt those gazzilion bolts up.

Its just something im not looking foward to doing.. With the paint job from 2010 someone did starting to fail (clear coat is going bad) im starting to not care about the astetics anymore... the paint job looked fantastic when i got it.. then 3 years later its failing and getting micro holes from peeling :-(
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Gambler

Post by Gambler »

will e wrote:
That's not lazy. Taking the dash apart is not a one hour or even one day job. :)
took me three hours to remove my 74 dash pad fully intact. rate it one of the harder things I've done lol.

XSapper

Post by XSapper »

letank wrote:

I need to find one like this.

letank

Post by letank »

XSapper wrote:
letank wrote:

I need to find one like this.
amazon... nope, it was ebay
Michel