83 cherokee build/first time jeep

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

Re: 83 cherokee build/first time jeep

Post by Hawkeye_Cherokee »

ScramblerCJ8 wrote:Thanks for the info, I will add it to the list of parts for the build.
I would check all your shackle ends and bushings before u buy also. The new leafs have bushings and hardware but the kit doesn't come with new shackles and bushings. Fortunately mine weren't in bad shape but if yours need replaced the best time to do it is when u install the lift

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

ScramblerCJ8

Post by ScramblerCJ8 »

Roger that sir, my plan is similar to your build, I will add the lift after I get the front clip, engine and tranny removed, so I won't order anything till then.
Won't be able to start on it till later this summer, finishing a frame off resto, on a 1978 jeep cj 7.
Got the 5.3 engine, 4l60e tranny and 241c t-case, wiring harness and PCM out of a 2004 Tahoe, t-case out of 96 suburban. All that already sitting in the workshop.
Have to exercise discipline, itching to start on it, but need to finish the cj first.
Thanks, and I can't wait to read about your progress and final result on yours.

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

ScramblerCJ8 wrote:Roger that sir, my plan is similar to your build, I will add the lift after I get the front clip, engine and tranny removed, so I won't order anything till then.
Won't be able to start on it till later this summer, finishing a frame off resto, on a 1978 jeep cj 7.
Got the 5.3 engine, 4l60e tranny and 241c t-case, wiring harness and PCM out of a 2004 Tahoe, t-case out of 96 suburban. All that already sitting in the workshop.
Have to exercise discipline, itching to start on it, but need to finish the cj first.
Thanks, and I can't wait to read about your progress and final result on yours.
Nice! I thought I had my drivetrain all picked out from the Yukon but now I'm thinkin bout changing tcase because the Yukon was button 4x4 and I would much rather have floor shift 4x4. Should be a simple fix since there were plenty of 4l60e trannys with floor shift tcases. Just hoping I can get the tcase floor unit and linkage all in one shot

ScramblerCJ8

Post by ScramblerCJ8 »

Good idea, when I got the engine and tranny from the 04 Tahoe, I already had the 241c t-case at the shop, asked about the floor shifter for the t-case, and the guy just threw it in at no charge. Paid 1700 green ones for everything including all the fuel lines.I will modify them to fit later, done it before, it is easier than building new ones, and they come with the fuel filter bracket.

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

Got some stuff done on the jeep last weekend. Got 2/3 broken manifold bolts out of the block, Radiator from BJs fits nice and i actually have room to move the motor one hole forward in the Novak mounts. Headers from Novak drop right in and got an access hole cut for the s10 sending unit, I will fab a flip up door later. I think I have radiator hoses figured out, next couple steps are to move the motor forward so I can drill holes in the trans xmember, need to fab up a 2 inch filler neck so I can attach the s10 fuel tank to the fill hole, fuel lines need to happen soon and also need to figure out what to use for trans cooler lines. Has anyone used the BJs radiator and transcooler combo and if so what did u use for lines/fittings?ImageImageImageImage

ScramblerCJ8

Post by ScramblerCJ8 »

Looking awesome, keep the pictures and progress threads coming, my build is going to be pretty similar to yours.
Couple of questions, the fuel tank sending unit has four ports, I figure one is fuel line to engine and other is return, the other two are evap lines, charcoal and purge solenoid, if you are using them. Where do you connect to the return line if your system is one line, returnless, and how do you control fuel pressure?
The other one is about your speedometer hook up, my t case has a speed sensor on the tail shaft housing, but my speedometer is cable operated, I looked at the Dakota digital cluster, but don't care for the thermometer style gauges. Is there a way to retain the original cluster and still have vss to the tcm?
would like to know which way you are going on that.

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

ScramblerCJ8 wrote:Looking awesome, keep the pictures and progress threads coming, my build is going to be pretty similar to yours.
Couple of questions, the fuel tank sending unit has four ports, I figure one is fuel line to engine and other is return, the other two are evap lines, charcoal and purge solenoid, if you are using them. Where do you connect to the return line if your system is one line, returnless, and how do you control fuel pressure?
The other one is about your speedometer hook up, my t case has a speed sensor on the tail shaft housing, but my speedometer is cable operated, I looked at the Dakota digital cluster, but don't care for the thermometer style gauges. Is there a way to retain the original cluster and still have vss to the tcm?
would like to know which way you are going on that.
Honestly I have no idea on either question. I have buddy's that are mechanics and are giving me instruction/direction. I'll be getting a lesson on the sending unit soon and will post an update once it is plumbed. As for transfer case is still don't even have a 241c yet so I wont have an update on making that work for a while

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

Sorry not transfer case I mean speedometer lol I have transfer case on the brain. I havent decided on gauges yet so I havent looked into speedometer functionality

ScramblerCJ8

Post by ScramblerCJ8 »

No worries, we are all learning here, I'am trying to read as many threads as I can and taking notes. Don't want to reinvent the wheel, I know I will find the answers from members that have done similar builds already.

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

ScramblerCJ8 wrote:No worries, we are all learning here, I'am trying to read as many threads as I can and taking notes. Don't want to reinvent the wheel, I know I will find the answers from members that have done similar builds already.
Ya I've been reading alot of threads. Ik probably 90% of my questions have been answered on this forum it's just a pain trying to find all of it

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

Here goes nothin. Gonna try makin my own stand alone harness from the Yukon harnessImageImage