Rear Window Crank Lock Cover???

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Rear Window Crank Lock Cover???

Post by Fast79Chief »

I have the 79 Cherokee Chief with a manual rear window crank. It is a 'locking' crank. If anybody who has one of these could tell me what size (type) screw or bolt is holding your factory sliding lock cover in place ... I greatly appreciate it. The length of the screw or bolt and the thread pitch too if you can measure it please.

PO replaced the factory screw or bolt with a sheet metal screw that doesn't allow the little cover to rotate open and closed. I'd like to replace that mess with a proper length and thread pitch bolt that will allow the cover to rotate.

Thanks a lot for your help.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

mx71

Re: Rear Window Crank Lock Cover???

Post by mx71 »

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

Mx71, I called about those. He told me they dont have a lock in there. He also said they last about 3 used and strip out cause of a bad casting.

I'm going to stick with my factory handle and lock ... just have to find the proper cover bolt.

Thanks.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

mx71

Post by mx71 »

Bummer, ok!

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

If it's like the one in the picher and like the electric window key covers it didn't have a screw. Was some kind of rivet.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

fsj454

Post by fsj454 »

I have hand crank on my 1982 Cherokee and yes it is a rivet . I have been saving every one I could find in junkyards for years and I ant got but 3 or 4 . PS I HAVE A BRAND NEW INNER ASSEMBLY THAT I TRIED TO USE AFTERMARKET ROLED WIND DOWN 1 TIME AND UP AND REMOVED JUNK .JUNK ..BUY AMC ONLY USED.
:fsj:454.nv4500.205.twin stick.hydo boost. hydrolic clutch.dana 60s.soa.37s 17inch.tration bar.warn 1200. 4 wheel disc.aero29 gallon .conferr roof rack.spal pulse width modulation.spal duel fans.painless battery isolator.duel batterys.factory cb. headers 2 1/2 duels.4.56 Detroit locker.alloy 35 spline axles.stainless brake lines .holley 770.edelbrock.fuel.water.intake.H4s.head light relays.racho 9000 shocks.rock ram.steering box brace.j20 steering box.msd8265 probillet distributor.msd super conductor wires.

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

That's what I hear too fsj454. The new repops are junk and have no lock cylinders in them. Any way you could send me a picture of this 'rivet' that the factory put in there? I'm going to try and duplicate it so I can get the sliding cover to work again.

Thanks a lot!

fsj454

Post by fsj454 »

Looked at rivets today. 3 are rusty and loose and there is a little spring on rivet shaft on manual cranks . Also looked at electric cover that I have with good chrome rivet and spring . So I am going to see if I can fix my loose rusty rivet and broken spring on my jeep. I do have one more on a parts jeep in storage at another yard with a nos manual crank . I think that would be the best way to go .I can text pictures pm me
:fsj:454.nv4500.205.twin stick.hydo boost. hydrolic clutch.dana 60s.soa.37s 17inch.tration bar.warn 1200. 4 wheel disc.aero29 gallon .conferr roof rack.spal pulse width modulation.spal duel fans.painless battery isolator.duel batterys.factory cb. headers 2 1/2 duels.4.56 Detroit locker.alloy 35 spline axles.stainless brake lines .holley 770.edelbrock.fuel.water.intake.H4s.head light relays.racho 9000 shocks.rock ram.steering box brace.j20 steering box.msd8265 probillet distributor.msd super conductor wires.

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

PM sent.