lost access to the site at home

Area to ask questions or post comments related to the main site.

Topic author
fulsizjeep

lost access to the site at home

Post by fulsizjeep »

We have Exceed satellite. Seems like we go through this once a year where we can't get to FSJN for a few weeks. Started a couple weeks ago. Even Tapatalk on the wifi router does not work for FSJN.

I have always had intermittent access from work and expect security policies may be a good part of the reason for that.

Perplexed.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: lost access to the site at home

Post by Stuka »

Hmm, interesting. This is the time of year that I extend the domain name, which was a few weeks ago.

What happens if you open up a command prompt and type "ping www.fsjnetwork.com" ?

It should be able to ping, and be hitting an IP of 160.153.94.101 (as of the time of this post). Maybe the satellite provider is being over aggressive with caching DNS entries. So it may be hitting an incorrect IP. If so, you may need to reboot your router, since it happens on your desktop and your phone.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Excede uses the ViaSat-1 bird and it has a ton of users--like over a million, but that shouldn't affect DNS. I agree that it's likely a modem/router or possibly an ISP DNS issue.

I renewed my domain registration a few weeks ago and noted that for about two days it disappeared from the master zone file making my site unreachable.
If doing a full power off restart of your modem/router doesn't fix the issue, you could set the secondary DNS server to a different one...but that's a trick best left to a network geek if you aren't one.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Excede uses the ViaSat-1 bird and it has a ton of users--like over a million, but that shouldn't affect DNS. I agree that it's likely a modem/router or possibly an ISP DNS issue.

I renewed my domain registration a few weeks ago and noted that for about two days it disappeared from the master zone file making my site unreachable.
If doing a full power off restart of your modem/router doesn't fix the issue, you could set the secondary DNS server to a different one...but that's a trick best left to a network geek if you aren't one.
The number of users is why ViaSat has aggressive caching and heavy use of CDN's. They have a lot of latency, and want to keep their over all bandwidth down. To prevent the router from making DNS requests for every little thing, it utilizes heavy caching. But if a cache expires, it should be going out and making a new request. But my thought is that for some reason it is not. or it simply isn't time to yet.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

A good point.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I am getting the same IP address on pings to www.fsjnetwork.com at home and at work. 160.153.94.101
Yes, I have restarted the home equipment multiple times, satellite router, wifi router, PC (Win7 Pro), Android, also the cats, dogs, ducks and chickens. It is always this way when this happens. It is the main reason I just gave up last year and did not attempt get on the forum for several months.
Flint Boardman

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

fulsizjeep wrote:I am getting the same IP address on pings to http://www.fsjnetwork.com at home and at work. 160.153.94.101
Yes, I have restarted the home equipment multiple times, satellite router, wifi router, PC (Win7 Pro), Android, also the cats, dogs, ducks and chickens. It is always this way when this happens. It is the main reason I just gave up last year and did not attempt get on the forum for several months.
Ok, next step. When you do try to go there with a browser, what error do you end up with? Depending on broswer, you may have to push a more info link or the like. And I am sure you have tried different browsers? If you use chrome for instance, try internet explorer?
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I can get more detail tonight with IE and Firefox. They do not work either.

This is Chrome:
This site can’t be reached

The connection was reset.
Try:
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET
Flint Boardman

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Hm, very interesting. When you get home, find out your IP (your outside IP, not of your computer itself). You can use a site like http://www.whatsmyip.org/

I want to make sure you didn't somehow get an IP that has been banned. Unlikely, but possible. Once I get that IP, I can dig through access logs and see if anything pops up.

Sorry you are having this issue, also makes me afraid others may be having it.
2017 JKU Rubicon

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

ya, that ERR_CONNECTION_RESET indicates a potential FW issue due to his IP being blocked....

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

FYI - This happens at work also, just not as consistently as at home. If I reload the page a few times, I can usually see the page. I'll get the IP you asked for. Thanks.
Flint Boardman

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

fulsizjeep wrote:FYI - This happens at work also, just not as consistently as at home. If I reload the page a few times, I can usually see the page. I'll get the IP you asked for. Thanks.
Do you know if your work also uses satellite internet? I would assume not, but its in a semi remote area as I recall.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

At work we have 3 T1 lines tunneled together. The telephone company central office is 5 miles from my shop at Mesa Verde NP. All connections to there are copper. There is a radio link from there to Cortez, CO, 8 miles away as a bird flies. All of our telcomms come in and out of the park this way. There are occasionally issues with the radio link which can affect quality of service. CenturyLink upgraded the equipment at each end of the radio link just a year ago and it has been very stable since then.
Flint Boardman

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Hm, ok. Not sure why it would fail from both places at times then. Will stick with investigating your home connection though.
2017 JKU Rubicon

bigun

Post by bigun »

I hope you get it straightened out because you'll have been speaking Greek to me or should that be Geek?

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Geek and Greek and in tongues Charlie! ;) I was able to read one post on Tapatalk last night and then got message no longer available responses.

IP Address Is: 99.197.185.45

IE 11:
This page can?t be displayed

?Make sure the web address http://www.fsjnetwork.com is correct.
?Look for the page with your search engine.
?Refresh the page in a few minutes.

Firefox 53:
The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer?s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Thanks Brandon
Flint Boardman

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

if you wanna geek out and actually troubleshot this then install Wireshark and perform a packet capture. Basically what you would do is setup Wireshark with a filter like this: ip.addr == 160.153.94.101

with that filter running, open your browser and attempt to load this site. You will see the packets. Then save the file as fsjnetwork.pcap and upload it here.

The packets don't lie (Usually) and would tell me everything that is going on with your connection.

I run Wireshark pretty much every day that I work as I'm a network engineer.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, I was considering having him run wireshark, but every time I have tried to have somebody run that remotely, it has ended poorly :P Although i think Flint is more knowledgeable than the average joe.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I'll take a peek at Wireshark, thanks guys.
Flint Boardman

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Just for giggles, I loaded the home page then the forum this morning at home and it worked! So many mysteries, so little time...
Flint Boardman