Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

It's brainstorming time....woot woot!
Short (hopefully) back story.
We moved here (COS) in April. Wife's 40th is coming up and she mentioned she liked the Wagoneer/woody look. I still had a bank account, so being sneaky I hoped on CL and lucked across a 91 for sale cheap. We went and grabbed it and spent a few weekends on Ft Carson going over everything to see what we had. The jeep had sat, unmoved or started for 10 years!
Short version, changed all fluids/filters, soaked the cylinders, etc. Comprehension test came back ok considering over 100k and sitting. New plugs, wires, cap, etc. Dropped in a battery and turned it over. No start. Blast of fluid in the carb and varoom...sputter, die. Turns out the fuel pump was toast, probably why it got parked. Got a new one put on and after some priming it roared to life. Cleared the choke and it purred away. Sweet!
It runs, drives, stops, and turns.
So fast forward a month and life goes sideways. The Army fails to pay our move and also reneges on my bonus. Ouch. Wife takes a low paying job to get something coming in and I've been dropping applications like fall leaves from the trees. Hopefully it will turn around soon but it's pretty rough right now.
One major bill we have is the wife's car. A 2013 VW sport wagon. It's a nice car but being diesel it falls under the emission disaster that VW is dealing with. We sat down tonight and have come to a difficult but needed (and secretly cool) decision. VW is offering owners the option to keep their car in hopes they can find a fix or turn it in and have their loans paid off. Either choice will also see the owners issued a check as part of the class action decision.
As much as we like the car we have decided to turn hers in. Sucks because there is nothing, IMHO, wrong with it. Alas... I dont see the "fix" being a good thing as it will impact the performance and economy of the tdi. If it even works.
So....
We talked about it and she decided to turn it in and we will use some of the payout to get her wagoneer much more road ready and she will drive that. Wahoo! No more car payment and we get to work on my passion, jeeps!
As this is turning into a wall of text, let me add a few pics and end this. I'll write later on the needs and wants as well as ask for lots of input and suggestions.
I give you Walter!
ImageImageImageImage

hutcho

Re: Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Post by hutcho »

That's a good looking wag! I think you made the right decision! I just got a new (05) denali pickup but I'm already talking about ditching it and getting a wag, just can't beat driving an old jeep!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Re: RE: Re: Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

hutcho wrote:That's a good looking wag! I think you made the right decision! I just got a new (05) denali pickup but I'm already talking about ditching it and getting a wag, just can't beat driving an old jeep!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Thanks sir. I think we dis good when I found this so hopefully it turns out to be reliable as we need it to be.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Here's a quick list of must do items. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated. Not sure how our timeline will go from turning in the VW, getting the check, and getting the vehicle on the road but things need to happen quickly without cutting corners. I suppose prioritizing is what's needed most right now.

Known issues with the waggy:

-Carb seems to have an issue, probably the accl.pump went bad from sitting. Idles fine but accelerating is interesting at best.
-Windshield is cracked pretty good.
-Tires were new and show little wear but sitting for 5-6 years wasn't good. Dryrot has set in. I'd be able to run them but wouldn't risk it for the wife.
-Exhaust has a good leak and the cat or muffler seems a little clogged.
-The gas tank skid plate is rusted through. Only rust on the thing really and is on the bottom, not at the frame so much like they usually do. I'm not comfortable letting her roll around with the plastic tank exposed like that. It's a pretty big hole.
-PO had jury rigged the rear tailgate window so it's now worthless. It's in the up position but looks to be dropping some.
-Front leaf springs are shot.
-Leaks. Not sure how many were from sitting but it was leaking pretty good when we first got it running. RMS especially was bad but last time I ran it, that has seemed to gone away. Maybe the seal was dry or?? Who knows. Either way I have to put some attention should I need to do a motor re-seal.

That's most of the issues I can recall off the top of my head. Stuff like cosmetics are a non issue right now but may be addressed in the future.

Here's the good part of going this route... parts I already have which will save us some $$ while getting it back on the road. Please look this over and try and pick holes in my thinking wherever I fail to recognize an issue.

1)carb issue. I could have the factory one rebuilt for $$. I have a spare that looks to have been rebuilt at some point but don't know what shape it's in. I have a brand new edelbrock 4bbl AFB sitting on a performer manifold in storage. It would require an adapter for the 2bbl factory manifold and linkage made to work. I also have an unknown Howell V8 tbi kit. I bought it used but it's all there. It is obviously a lot more work to install. It would need a new chip for the computer and an O2 sensor with a bung welded into the exhaust. That would be great but I don't know how long it would take to get it all together, installed, and running correctly. I've never done one.
2) windshield...will call safelight and have them install a new one.
3) tires will be replaced with BFG all terrains. Need to decide on size which relates to how we address the front spring issue. Would prefer to go with 31x10.50x15s. We will see.
4)Exhaust. Thankfully I have a nearly new, well made (mandrel bent, 2.5") complete exhaust off a buddy's donor waggy. It has a magnaflow muffler on it but no cat. May run without it as we don't have emissions here. Will need hangers burned on and then install it.
5) gas tank skid. Hopefully I can find someone with a good one cheap. I suppose I could try amd patch it but it's pretty bad. Anyone got one laying around not doing anything? :)
6) I hate that the tailgate is jacked up. It also has the only real dent on the entire car. Not sure of if I can pull it out and then replace the guts to get the window working again? I have a nice replacement tailgate in a different color but it has a big dent as well! Existing TG is dented top half, passenger side. Replacement TG is bottom half, passenger side. DOH! Wish i was a body man. It's a bad combination of cosmetics and functionality.
7) Suspension. This is where things get muddy. It's hard to argue that a stock Gwag rides like a Cadillac. It's pretty common that lifting it loses much of that cloud like quality. With the front springs on this one being past their life, something must be done. I may actually have 2 sets of fronts in storage but unfortunately they are holding up my 67 commando project. Not really crazy on going backwards with that. Then we look at tires being needed and the wife preferring a more aggressive design. Going bigger, now is the time for a lift. But what lift? How much? I'm thinking 4"s would clear 31s pretty well but without spending Deaver size money, who's kit can retain a great on road ride? I had a Rustys 4" on my old FS Cherokee and it definitely rode harsher, more stiff. Las option could be just two new stock springs but I don't think she's going to be happy with the factory tire size.
8) Leaks. This I will have to take as I see em. Having done all new fluids in the vehicle I'm sure I'll find some. The oil in the motor was for "break in" from sitting. I'll change that again shortly but if I have to do a RMS, That would be the time. Probably need valve cover gaskets. A new timing chain and water pump are not that expensive either but a good amount of work.

Ok folks... weigh in. We appreciate the input!!

MidTNJasonF

Re: Wife's Waggy

Post by MidTNJasonF »

Playing devils advocate here or negative nancy however you care to look at it but trading my wife from a reliable 2013 vehicle with presumably low miles to a 25 year old 1991 vehicle that sat for 10 years would not be something could do.

As much as we all love our FSJ not many of us would be quick to say they were dead nuts reliable even in relatively good shape. Build quality and reliability of 1980's and early 1990's American vehicles was not exactly stellar. The auto makers have come a long long way in the last 20 to 30 years. I work in the business and have seen first hand many of the changes. Safety has come just as far if not farther than build quality in those 20 to 30 years.

Of course there is also the issue of fuel economy. I am sorry but the change from 40+ mph on the VW to low teens on the waggy would be a big deal to me.

If I were in your shoes I would take as much as I could from VW then scrimp, save, and sell everything I could live without to buy the best quality late model car I could with the cash for my wife to drive. Still no car payment and if you buy right still a safe economical vehicle. Keep the waggy as a project to improve or restore as time and money allows but I just could not see it as a primary vehicle for my wife.

I drove $1000 beaters with 150k miles on them for a decade while my wife drove a fairly new 50k or 60k mile car. Low or no car payments but as good as we could manage for her vehicle. For about the first 10 years of our marriage we were spending about 1000 a year on our cars. That included the purchase price of my car, tires, oil changes, repair parts, and maintenance. Basically everything except the gas, insurance, and registration fees. I went through about 4 cars in that time span and the most expensive one was $1500. I think she went through 2 cars in the period and the only one we paid for was $5000. The second was paid for with the insurance check when the first was hit by a careless driver. $15,000 over 10 years for two cars was pretty manageable without any debt or payments while we were finishing degrees, starting careers, and trying to buy our first home.

I am not saying it is the right way or the only way. I am just as I said playing devils advocate.
1964 J-200 360/TH400/BW1339 - "Hodge" - as in Hodge Podge :roll:
GM FF 14 Bolt 4.56:1 Yukon Posi rear / GM D44 4.56:1 front
Looking for 8 lug H1's and 37"s

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

I had to drive my Cherokee for 2 solid days while the wife's Buick was in the shop. I could never daily drive the beast nor expect my wife too.
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Thanks guys... I feel bad enough as it is. Trust me, I wish things were different and the wife didn't have to get rid of her car but that's not gonna be an option. As for her DDing it, she works less than 8 miles from home and honestly, doesn't have much of a life outside of that. Either do I come to think of it.
I wouldn't even agree to it if the wife wasn't all about "her" wagoneer. I'm sure after a while she'll want something newer. Hopefully our bad luck goes away quickly and we get back to having that as an option. For now... it'll have to work.

Adventure_Wagon88

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

I would definitely want a fuel injected motor in it for my wife to drive. Your wife sounds a little more "mechanically minded" than mine perhaps, but still, if she isn't used to driving a carb'd vehicle and stalls it out mid intersection or something it could be bad, no matter how short the commute it is a possibility. Since you have the kit to do it, but not necessarily the experience or knowledge, I would at least look into what it would cost to have it installed. It may be more affordable than you think, and if it's not then at least you know.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Re: RE: Re: Wife's Waggy

Adventure_Wagon88 wrote:I would definitely want a fuel injected motor in it for my wife to drive. Your wife sounds a little more "mechanically minded" than mine perhaps, but still, if she isn't used to driving a carb'd vehicle and stalls it out mid intersection or something it could be bad, no matter how short the commute it is a possibility. Since you have the kit to do it, but not necessarily the experience or knowledge, I would at least look into what it would cost to have it installed. It may be more affordable than you think, and if it's not then at least you know.
I definitely wouldn't say mechanically minded but she's well grounded if that makes sense. The few weekends we already spent working on the jeep when we got it she was a good shop monkey. I'd explain what I was doing and why and she watched. When something nasty had to be done like scrubbing the brake drums, she put her OCD to work.
Honestly, I'd love to drop a 5.3 and I'd auto in it and would think her fine driving it daily. But time and money are not in our favor right now. Plus we are looking at the fact it's a 91. I'd like to keep the mods to a minimum with stuff that could be reversed in the future. It's really in good shape, especially compared to all the other rot buckets I've owned over the years. Be nice to retain most of the potential it has as whatever collector value is strangely assigned the last year.
I brought the Howell kit home so i can look it over more. Installing it isn't beyond my skills. I just need to verify what chip it has and go from there. I honestly think just dropping a new carb on there will be fine.

Adventure_Wagon88

Well that's good and I admire your dedication to your initial plan. I understand the 5.3 not being an option and wanting to keep it "restorable". It seems like most people who own them want to keep the original engine and certainly would want it there if looking for a collectors piece. Doing the Howell kit should keep it in that realm I would think. Honestly in my opinion Jeep isn't like Ford or Chevy where they've always had their own power plants under the hoods, they've come with so many different engines over the decades, so to me it really doesn't matter what is there as long as it makes sense for the end user. I bought my 88 as the platform for a diesel swap and though I will be driving it around with the tired carburated 360 for a bit, I won't be depending on it to get me anywhere important until after the swap is done and the kinks are worked out.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Re: RE: Re: Wife's Waggy

Adventure_Wagon88 wrote:Well that's good and I admire your dedication to your initial plan. I understand the 5.3 not being an option and wanting to keep it "restorable". It seems like most people who own them want to keep the original engine and certainly would want it there if looking for a collectors piece. Doing the Howell kit should keep it in that realm I would think. Honestly in my opinion Jeep isn't like Ford or Chevy where they've always had their own power plants under the hoods, they've come with so many different engines over the decades, so to me it really doesn't matter what is there as long as it makes sense for the end user. I bought my 88 as the platform for a diesel swap and though I will be driving it around with the tired carburated 360 for a bit, I won't be depending on it to get me anywhere important until after the swap is done and the kinks are worked out.
I have a 78 cherk waiting in the wings for life to turn around. Not sure what direction it will go. Was thinking diesel but I'd rather do that to a J Truck. Though maybe a Mercedes diesel would be cool. :)

Adventure_Wagon88

Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

The OM617 is definitely a cool option if you're not looking for speed or brawn for towing. A shade heavier than the small block V-8, but need to push a 3500 pound vehicle just the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Re: RE: Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Adventure_Wagon88 wrote:The OM617 is definitely a cool option if you're not looking for speed or brawn for towing. A shade heavier than the small block V-8, but need to push a 3500 pound vehicle just the same

Isn't someone here doing an OM606 swap? Can't find the build. :(

Adventure_Wagon88

Are you talking about this one? 1964 wagoneer... om617

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Re: RE: Re: Wife's Waggy "Walter"...

Adventure_Wagon88 wrote:Are you talking about this one? 1964 wagoneer... om617

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

No sir... I was mistaken. The guy doing an OM606 swap is in Norway and it's going into a CJ8 Scrambler.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Ok bodywork folks, help me out here. As we will (hopefully) be turning in the wife's VW tdi and getting a check, the waggy will go into immediate service. Can you guys look at this tailgate and see if it can be fixed fairly easy? The inside guts are screwed but I have a complete ( but far more dented) functional spare for parts. Can you tell from the pics of the gate is salvageable?
ImageImage

Notice as you look close it's a little crooked with the gaps.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

And... since it will need tires. Will 31x10.50s fit with no lift? Looking at BFG ATs.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Couple more pics of the tailgate.
ImageImage

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

If you still need a gas tank skid plate, I have three laying around. PM me.

I don't think 31's will fit well without a lift. The cheapest option for new suspension is stock height springs from BJ's. Good stock springs should fit 30's well.

I run 31's on my Cherokee at stock height but it is very hard to change the rear tires. I couldn't do it on the roadside without a floor jack and jack stands. You have to jack it up very high, install a jack stand opposite the wheel you want to remove, and dang near flex it to the bump stop to get the tire out of the wheel well enough to remove it.

Also, they moved the rear axle forward an inch in 76, the minor rubbing I experience on the 74 would be a real problem on a newer FSJ.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Adventure_Wagon88

Is the tailgate fully functional? If so it definitely wouldn't be high on the priority list for me, and just shop around until you find one worth replacing it with. Being out in CO I would imagine that shouldn't be a statistical improbability! I'm definitely not a "body guy", but I've done a fair bit of body work, and damage on a strong body line like that, [presumably] causing fitment issues, isn't something I would waste my time messing with. Unfortunate, because it looks like very solid body panel otherwise. Maybe it can serve as a lower skin for someone who has a rusty one. If it were me, I just know I would spend 20+ hours trying to get it halfway decent and then still have fitment issues and get really frustrated and wish I had just gone with a new gate right away. How badly dented is the replacement one you have? If they're just nick and ding type then maybe start tooling on that one to get it set to replace this one and leave the original in service until it's ready to swap?