How easily does your FSJ start when cold?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

What cold start method do you use?

Don't press the gas at all (carb)
4%
Press the gas pedal once to set the choke
63%
Pump the pedal several times
19%
Break out the can of ether!
4%
TBI so it always starts perfect
11%

Total votes: 27

AMGeneral

Re: How easily does your FSJ start when cold?

Post by AMGeneral »

That's quiet a list, Hey if it works for you than go with it.
AM-G
'73 Mack M54a1 cargo.
'75 Mack M52a1 tractor.
'81 AM-General AM715a2 SWB.
'83 AM-General AM720a2 LWB.
'88 AM-Jeep MJ/Comanche.

Isuzu 5.7L I6 diesel used in AM General A2 series mil-spec FSJs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1wqXhidC10&feature=plcp

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Don S wrote:..

Howdy...

My ‘76 401 Wagoneer cold engine starts were from -20f degrees to 113f degrees, and from 500 to over 14,000 ft of altitude, and any weather. Hot Starts were another matter!!!!!
A . Rotate selector to a fuel tank (stupid) with fuel in it.
B. Put TH-400 in Park or neutral (with brakes set) and turn on the proper (one of 3) electric fuel pump.
C. When you hear the pump stop pumping depress throttle peddle and pull manual choke 7/8th open and release throttle peddle.
D. Turn on ignition with key.
E. Push starter button (on dash) until engine cranks and push choke cable back in!
F. If engine fails to rotate switch over to the other battery.
G. If engine fails to fire unplug and re-plug ignition module.
H. ... well it never failed... 'Cept for one bad starter.... #:-s

Have a cool one.. Don S..
Is this the entire "pre-flight checklist" or just the abbreviated version? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

All 3 401s with Holley TA: Key On for a few seconds to pump gas, tap go peddle once and turn the key. Love it.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Fired yesterday after sitting 3 months with just a spoonful down the top of the aircleaner
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

BigBlock91

Post by BigBlock91 »

I always crank mine over a few revs without touching the gas.. then pump the pedal twice.. then crank again.. usuallyworks every time.. ;)
1988 Grand wagoneer. Ford 460, t-18, np205 it's ALIVE

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

It's starting to get chilly in the mornings here on the Colorado front range.

The old Honcho with it's 'new' junkyard TBI started right up and ran perfect after sitting for a few weeks :)

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Each Jeep I've owned has been different, so far the best is my current '82 J10. All I gotta do is pump the throttle once or twice, turn the key and VROOM!

My first '85 GW took a few pumps of the throttle while cranking and coddling while warming up
'85 GW #2 took one pump of the throttle and was ready to go
'79 WT was a little cranky in the cold but not bad
'78 WT was a lost cause, break out the ether
'76 Wag always fired right up but needed 30 seconds to a minute to warm up
'77 J10 was pretty bad especially if I forgot to plug it in
Probably missing 1 or 2

So far the best carbed vehicle I've had in cold weather is my '84 AMC Eagle, one pump of the pedal and it fires right up every time, runs almost like it has fuel injection...And that's stock WITH the stepper motor Carter BBD! Seems that the colder it is the better it starts, actually starts better at -5F* than it does at 75*F.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

58% of folks voted and said they hit the gas one time and it starts. My question is; So how 'well' does it start? Does it stay running? Run good or like crap? Can you start it cold and literally drive off right away? Will it die at the first stop if you do?

I'm actually ashamed to say that my 401 TBI in the waggy died on me during a cold start today. It had been sitting for 3-4 days without being ran and was in the teens this morning. I opened the door, didn't touch the gas, hit the starter and VROOM! The straight piped 401 roared to life! But then it died! I was baffled! :P Hit the starter again and it roared to life and ran perfect. I think I need to throw a little fuel on the map for cold temps. Oh and maybe my 500 rpm is a little low...

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Blake wrote:58% of folks voted and said they hit the gas one time and it starts. My question is; So how 'well' does it start? Does it stay running? Run good or like crap? Can you start it cold and literally drive off right away? Will it die at the first stop if you do?

I'm actually ashamed to say that my 401 TBI in the waggy died on me during a cold start today. It had been sitting for 3-4 days without being ran and was in the teens this morning. I opened the door, didn't touch the gas, hit the starter and VROOM! The straight piped 401 roared to life! But then it died! I was baffled! :P Hit the starter again and it roared to life and ran perfect. I think I need to throw a little fuel on the map for cold temps. Oh and maybe my 500 rpm is a little low...
I can start it cold and drive off so long as I don't give it full throttle right away (Stay on the primary for at least a 1/2 mile or so). If I do, it will bog down for a few moments and then take off. After which it is fine.

500rpm for a cold idle is pretty low. It should idle at about a 33% higher idle until it warms up a bit. On my JK it idles high for about 20 seconds or so and then goes down to its normal idle. And well the J10 is until I hit the throttle to drop it down.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Don S

Post by Don S »

Blake wrote:I'm actually ashamed to say that my 401 TBI in the waggy died on me during a cold start today. It had been sitting for 3-4 days without being ran and was in the teens this morning. I opened the door, didn't touch the gas, hit the starter and VROOM! The straight piped 401 roared to life! But then it died! I was baffled! :P Hit the starter again and it roared to life and ran perfect. I think I need to throw a little fuel on the map for cold temps. Oh and maybe my 500 rpm is a little low...

Normally when you park it the engine is hot and gets hotter when it’s turned off. The fuel starts to vaporize and can even boil. After a few days there’s not much gasoline left in the fuel bowl. Fuel seems to last longer in the accelerator pump cavity. I liked the electric fuel pumps because it would fill the bowl before trying to start the engine.

Have a warm one.. Don S..

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Don S wrote:
Blake wrote:I'm actually ashamed to say that my 401 TBI in the waggy died on me during a cold start today. It had been sitting for 3-4 days without being ran and was in the teens this morning. I opened the door, didn't touch the gas, hit the starter and VROOM! The straight piped 401 roared to life! But then it died! I was baffled! :P Hit the starter again and it roared to life and ran perfect. I think I need to throw a little fuel on the map for cold temps. Oh and maybe my 500 rpm is a little low...

Normally when you park it the engine is hot and gets hotter when it’s turned off. The fuel starts to vaporize and can even boil. After a few days there’s not much gasoline left in the fuel bowl. Fuel seems to last longer in the accelerator pump cavity. I liked the electric fuel pumps because it would fill the bowl before trying to start the engine.

Have a warm one.. Don S..
He has TBI, so no carb :)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ