Mystery heater core

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
Millsy

Mystery heater core

Post by Millsy »

Hello everyone
I've been restoring my cj7 for some time now and have hit a snag with heater core.
My particular jeep has spent it's life here in Australia, so finding parts is tricky and even diagnosing if what is in the car is original at all. I have a heater core that I'm pretty positive isn't OEM but to import what a factory CJ core and box would be pretty costly I'm assuming. Can anyone shed some light on what I have and what it's out of. Could it be from an earlier model or is it totally foreign?
Any insight would be appreciated
Cheers.
P.s I hope I've attached my photos correctly :geek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fulsizjeep

Re: Mystery heater core

Post by fulsizjeep »

Looks like a mystery to me because it is not a FSJ. I am no help here.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

As mentioned, not much expertise here wrt CJ-7s. They are not "full sized jeeps."

Are you in Australia now? If this is a RHD Australian Jeep located in the USA, you may be better off consulting a forum or club in Australia.

At the very least, you need to post current location, year, model and equipment to get a helpful reply. Since this vehicle originated in Australia, this will also be an export model. This may be covered in the domestic parts books, but maybe not.

For domestic production, the heater assembly changed around 1978. The earlier design had the electrical connections in the passenger cabin. This uses heater core 8125123. The later design has its wiring in the engine compartment. This was equipped with a 5462705, and says to use a 5469877.

Of course, the domestic production is all left-hand drive. In Austrailia, the RHD column goes right through the heater location of the domestic models. May be the same shifted to the left, maybe not. In Australia, your local Jeep dealership may be able to help you, or find someone through a local club or forum that has access to the parts books that cover these RHD modifications.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Millsy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:20 am Hello everyone
I've been restoring my cj7 for some time now and have hit a snag with heater core.
My particular jeep has spent it's life here in Australia, so finding parts is tricky and even diagnosing if what is in the car is original at all. I have a heater core that I'm pretty positive isn't OEM but to import what a factory CJ core and box would be pretty costly I'm assuming. Can anyone shed some light on what I have and what it's out of. Could it be from an earlier model or is it totally foreign?
Any insight would be appreciated
Cheers.
P.s I hope I've attached my photos correctly :geek:
I moved this to “General other Jeep related” area. You are welcome to ask questions about other Jeeps in this area. But we are most knowledgeable with full size Jeeps, which a CJ is not.

That does not look like the heater boxes or cores that we got here in the states. But as mentioned above, that’s because of the steering wheel location.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ