Resto-mod '81 Cherokee

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Resto-mod '81 Cherokee

Post by rocklaurence »

OK guys, I picked up the Cherokee for a shop project. I believe that it was originally Blue with nutmeg interior but the seats dont look original, 4 speed manual with V8. Does anyone know what trim package this would be and weather the seats are original?
Presently, we plan on restoring the body and drive train, adding a 5speed with upgraded fuel system. No surface rust--only the floors are bad..

Florida83FSJCherokee

Re: Resto-mod '81 Cherokee

Post by Florida83FSJCherokee »

Those are the same seats that came in mine.

If you dont want them ill buy the back seat, and I know a guy with 2! 5 speeds for sale! ;)

Well, congrats! welcome to the SUV side of the fence!

JP

edit: is it manual windows all around or just the tailgate?

86gwrhino

Post by 86gwrhino »

nice start! and someone correct me if im wrong, but it looks like it had a laredo badge on it at one time.
1986 grand wagoneer
chevy 350 tbi, tf727
rusty's 4in spring lift, amc20 rear, dana44 front, np228,

'67 M715
all stock with pto

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Some how I double posted on this topic :oops: Jon, I may go to black interior as I have a perfect black rear seat. If so, we can work a deal.

pyro

Post by pyro »

looks like it was a laredo to me. did you ever get a hold of Red (with those two 78 cherokee's) by james' place?
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

pyro wrote:looks like it was a laredo to me. did you ever get a hold of Red (with those two 78 cherokee's) by james' place?
I did, he is too attached to them and wont sell them. :cry: There are a lot of nice parts on those Cherokees. Jerome, was it you that sent me the contact for the Cherokee that I bought this week? If so, I have your Finders Fee.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

We have it 90% stripped down and will be ordering a lot of parts next week. We've got to replace the front and rear floor pans and the rear deck :o Fought off 1 Large RAT and several field mice during the clean up :shock: I'll post up some pic tomorrow..
Also, any input on Epoxi for the floor pans?

pyro

Post by pyro »

the guy who did mine used epoxi sealant over the welds and he highly recommended it. i will eventually be putting carpet in anyway so i'm not too worried about the looks...and as far as the finders fee. just call it a wash, you've been more than helpful in locating my parts. i am still looking for that rollbar, however. :lol:
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

This is how we finished last week:

Today, we started on the suspension and accomplished the install of later Waggy rear springs, our Front Spring Shackle Reversal with blocks for the rear. We're waiting on the RS44044 front springs to compliment the FSSR.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

A question, the mounts for the luggage rack had been leaking. Would it detract from the re sale value to weld close those holes and not have the rack? Now keep in mind it's a RestoMod not a restoration.

pyro

Post by pyro »

I think it would be badass if you went with an aftermarket setup like the guy w the waggy who we met at the shop day.
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Just find some rubber grommets that fit snugly and RTV them in place.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

jaber wrote:Just find some rubber grommets that fit snugly and RTV them in place.
What would you recommend for the skids that are screwed to the roof under the rack? Does anyone sell gaskets for the skids?

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

IIRC my skids are still on.

Could put them back on and put some RTV on the threads to seal themselves as you install them. You could also just put the screws in without the rails. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

whsii

Post by whsii »

rocklaurence wrote:
jaber wrote:Just find some rubber grommets that fit snugly and RTV them in place.
What would you recommend for the skids that are screwed to the roof under the rack? Does anyone sell gaskets for the skids?

Hello Rock,

I put my skids back on my 87 GW about six weeks ago. There were signs of leaking at the screws for the skid strips, and also at the roof rack attachments.

I put in new well nuts and as for the plastic seals for the skid strips, I used silicone fuel tubing that I had for RC aircraft. I had some that the screw threads lightly threaded into, and I cut a piece 1/2" long, when tightened the silicone tube expands and puts pressure on the roof and also between the screw and the trim strip. I have not had any leaks with several water tests and many rains.

The silicone tubing holds up for years, especially not being exposed to UV rays. Find a local hobby shop and check for the size that lets the screw thread into, there are several sizes available.

Hope this helps...

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Thanks, guys. I rebuild the rear axle and finishing up the front. I plan on picking up an '85 Wag to part out and hope to be able to claim a few patches for the Cherokee. ;)

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

We finished rebuilding the axles this week. We replaced the pinion seals, front ball joints, brakes ( installed the Big Chevy brake calipers). I have the Big Brakes on my shop truck and they make a big difference compared to the OEM Jeep stuff (10% larger diameter piston).

Jesse baker

Post by Jesse baker »

for the roof rack holes I got som almost flush plastic plugs from ace and popped them in, worked great.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

The Rancho 44044 springs are due in this week to finish the suspension. BJs shut down their phone system all last week but this Monday I'll be calling in $1000 order for seals, wipes, hardware, brake lines and carpet. I'm so excited about being able to parts on instead of taking them off :P

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

The springs are here but we're parting out the '77 J10. We'll take the carcass of the J10 to salvage today and start working on the Cherokee.