Resto-mod '81 Cherokee

Area for General FSJ related chat.

j2sax

Re: Resto-mod '81 Cherokee

Post by j2sax »

You've mentioned that you've put items together like an install kit for the AX15... how much? I have a cpl of AX15 setups with the Factory Pieces (one from an XJ, the other from a Wrangler) and wondered what would have kept you from using the OE parts... just curious. (WilWood looks AWEsome by the way, but sounds pricier than the OE Master)

Also, you mentioned a "bearing" earlier... I expect you are referring to the Pilot Bushing? Will the stock pilot off the 4.0 not work in the 360? Seems I have used that in the past, but did I set the vehicle up for long term issues due to size differences?

All that being said... this is a great build thread and I think your color choice was PERFECT! Hope to see this in person at some point!

Have a great week,

Jesse

j2sax

Post by j2sax »

rocklaurence wrote:We put the springs in today. I believe that the FSSR and the Rancho 44044's are going to be the best 4" lift option for ride quality.
Sorry to back track this so far, but what is "FSSR"?

Do you think I could do 33/10.5's on a Chero with just 2" of lift?

Great build!

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

j2sax wrote:
rocklaurence wrote:We put the springs in today. I believe that the FSSR and the Rancho 44044's are going to be the best 4" lift option for ride quality.

Great build!
Front Spring Shackle Reversal its a kit he makes and sells... http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =34&t=2771

As long as you have a wide track, yes, 33's will fit without a lift. If its a Narrow track, then it will depend on your back spacing on the rims. On N/T's, the lip of the fenders eats the sidewalls.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

jaber wrote:
j2sax wrote:

Great build!
Front Spring Shackle Reversal its a kit he makes and sells... http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =34&t=2771

As long as you have a wide track, yes, 33's will fit without a lift. If its a Narrow track, then it will depend on your back spacing on the rims. On N/T's, the lip of the fenders eats the sidewalls.
Jeff is right on, I think that the skinny 33's will fit a WT.
In regard to the Hydro clutch, the OEM Master wont clear the booster and the bearing is referring to an adjustable TO. I also had to make a bolt-on peddle bracket, trans mount adapter. Plus, cover panels, spacer, etc etc. However, it all costs less than a Bell Housing adapter needed for other transmissions.

j2sax

Post by j2sax »

So how much?

Jeff is right on, I think that the skinny 33's will fit a WT.
In regard to the Hydro clutch, the OEM Master wont clear the booster and the bearing is referring to an adjustable TO. I also had to make a bolt-on peddle bracket, trans mount adapter. Plus, cover panels, spacer, etc etc. However, it all costs less than a Bell Housing adapter needed for other transmissions.[/quote]

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

J2sax, you said that your running the AX15 in FSJs? What did you do for a clutch set up and does it work for ya?

j2sax

Post by j2sax »

Sorry for the confusion... I have AX15's that I would LIKE to run in an FSJ... I thought you were saying that you had put together a kit to sell to use AX15's on the FSJ's and could tell how much you would charge for this kit. I have a Chero with a bad trans and an AX15 would be a nice addition!

Also wondered what kind of feedback you had concerning the FSSR driveability after install, on and off the road.

Have a great weekend,

Jesse

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I put an 89 Camaro 5 speed into a '69 Camaro and we used the hydro clutch from the 89. The one thing I took note of is that it is mounted on an angle under the brake booster. I think it would be easy to make work. ;)
Oh, it was a World Class T5 that went behind a very strong 383 stroker. Damn thing would not idle.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

jaber wrote:I put an 89 Camaro 5 speed into a '69 Camaro and we used the hydro clutch from the 89. The one thing I took note of is that it is mounted on an angle under the brake booster. I think it would be easy to make work. ;)
Oh, it was a World Class T5 that went behind a very strong 383 stroker. Damn thing would not idle.
Wow! That's pushing a WCT5 to the limits ;) IMO, the T5 is a good transmission and gets a bad rap. I would have no problem putting a WC behind a small V8 in a truck.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

j2sax wrote:Sorry for the confusion... I have AX15's that I would LIKE to run in an FSJ... I thought you were saying that you had put together a kit to sell to use AX15's on the FSJ's and could tell how much you would charge for this kit. I have a Chero with a bad trans and an AX15 would be a nice addition!

Also wondered what kind of feedback you had concerning the FSSR driveability after install, on and off the road.

Have a great weekend,

Jesse
OK, I have been putting together a price list and have been considering an all inclusive package vs one with only my custom parts. Plus, I'm going to split the package into two kits. One for the clutch and the other for the transmission related parts (I was surprised at how fast the $$ add up). The base kits provide everything needed except the AX15, clutch, slave cylinder and shift lever boot/basil. All the guess-work and engineering have been taken care of. Right now the cost listed is approximate for the base kits:
Clutch kit $249
Transmission kit $299
In regard to the FSSR, The local guys that have had it installed like what they have and I've been running mine on the shop truck for over a year. I can tell you that it makes a big difference on Speed Bumps and hard impacts and I don't see any Nose Dive when stopping. The other's are Ebay customers that I don't remain in contact with.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

We drove the Cherokee around the shop area and now that its mobile we don't have to push it on casters. Here's a few more pic:

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

OK, the project isn't dead just asleep! :D Life and paying bills slowed the progress for a while but today I had it running and driving around the shop area. Expecting it to be painted and for sale very soon.

pyro

Post by pyro »

Any idea on price? :D
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I know what I have in it [Labor/materials]. Im expecting between $14-$17K and will probably auction it on Ebay

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

OK--Project update. A lot has happened over the years. First, the Clown that painted the Cherokke did a Crappy Job --thats why he's called the Clown. I had to repaint the vehicle myself but didnt finish before closing my Commercial shop and moved to my Home garage. Second, the old motor bent two push rods and I had to install a Rebuilt [BJs Offroad]. I still havent fired the motor because I had to leave my commercial shop. Third, the Cherokee has sat in the car port for 5 years awaiting its turn for attention. Its full of dirt, Wasp and Mud Dobblers. Lastly, Its in the shop and Im trying to get coordinated on what work needs to get done and what happened to all the parts.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Also, the new starter I got for it wont engage the fly wheel--its a little off. However, the previous starter that came with the Cherokee V8/T177 combo did work [that starter is lost]. Looking at the parts store listing, its the same P# regardless of weather its a Manual or automatic--is this correct? On the Web I see that persons are using a newer 1999 4L/AX15 starter. Do these starters interchange with the FSJ?

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I tried a 1999 Cherokee starter from a 4L and it does the same thing. I guess Ill have to pull the trans' to see what's going on.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Dag-nab-it! The starter issue was---bad battery ground cable! After I got the motor to turn over with the OEM FSJ starter, the starter solenoid on the fend failed. So, now I have to rebuild a 2150 carb to slap on to break-in the new motor. I have EFI but dont want to fuss with it until the motor cam/lifters are seated.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Ive been slowly hunting down the parts that I lost and by-passing the EFI to break-in the new motor. I sourced a fan from a FSJ member [80Limited] , found the OEM starter, identified a bad chassis/motor Ground [that prevented the starter from working] and replaced the starter solenoid that failed after I fixed the Ground wire. This week I rebuilt a 2150 carb, cleaned up the HEI distributor-replaced its vacuum advance canister and ran Custom 8mm plug wires. Once I get the motor where it needs to be, then I have to focus on the AX15/ Hydro' clutch, bleed the brakes and then start putting the interior back in.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

FYI, I have purchased 4 Skipwhite Chinese HEIs over the years for Jeeps and have never had a failure. The HEI that Im using to start the Cherokee needed a new Vacuum advance unit and during my work I realized that the Electronics, parts etc all interchange with the OEM Chevy HEI stuff. Good news if you need parts at the local parts store. Plus, I purchased a Universal set of HEI ACCEL plug wires. The ACCEL are better for AMC motors than the MSD/store brand Universal wires. They are longer giving more routing options than the other wires ve used. For me, I like the Straight spark plug boots.