Noise with hubs locked

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
JWestfall

Noise with hubs locked

Post by JWestfall »

71 Wagoneer 360 with Dana 30 front axle. When I drive in 2wd with hubs locked it squeaks a bit. Not super loud, just annoying. I have changed every u-joint (drive shafts and axle shafts) and repacked bearings. It’s not a grinding or whining. I will look at the differential this weekend, but don’t know what I would be looking for. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Last edited by JWestfall on Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Noise with hubs locked

Post by Stuka »

If you jack up the front end, and spin the tires by hand with the hubs locked, does it do it?

It very well could be a pinion or carrier bearing.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Yeah I have the same noise on my '71. Finally figured out last time I was under the front end, it's the rubber on the front output seal on the tcase.

Seems to only be there on mine from about 20-45 mph. It is incredibly irritating when that's the loudest noise.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
JWestfall

Post by JWestfall »

I haven't spun the wheels by hand when jacked up very fast, but when slow spinning I don't hear it. I will do that while I jack it up to check the front output seal on the transfer case. Thanks for the input.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

JWestfall wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:23 am I haven't spun the wheels by hand when jacked up very fast, but when slow spinning I don't hear it. I will do that while I jack it up to check the front output seal on the transfer case. Thanks for the input.
Not the input, the output side ;)

I'm about 90% sure you won't be able to get it to do it in the air; there has to be load on it on mine. But I've determined that it's definitely a rubber noise, and definitely from the t-case region, and only happens when the hubs are locked, and I looked and there's no boot there, so all I can thing of that's rubber there is the seal :-?

If I had to guess, without things spinning all the time, the seal gets dry, and so then when you first start driving it/lock the hubs in, it'll squeak/chirp at you. It is incredibly irritating sometimes.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
JWestfall

Post by JWestfall »

So I drained and replaced the fluid in the front differential and transfer case this weekend and the noise is still there. It’s a chirping noise almost like a chirping belt and it gets slightly louder if I engage the 4wd. Sounds like what sierrablue said with the front output seal. The vehicle sat for 30 years, so I’m sure it’s dry. Is this something that really needs to be addressed or can I just turn the stereo up and call it good? Thanks

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

My guess is a ujoint. I you ignore it, it will get louder
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Mine seems to come and go at different temperatures and stuff. But I know for sure with the hubs locked it makes noise, 2 or 4 wheel drive, and it goes away with the hubs unlocked. I greases and checked the U joints and they're all fine; like I said it comes and goes with temp and moisture changes. It does not get louder or quieter over time; sometimes it's there and others it's not there.

As long as your joints aren't loose and it's not pouring oil everywhere, I wouldn't worry about it.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
JWestfall

Post by JWestfall »

Yeller wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:53 pm My guess is a ujoint. I you ignore it, it will get louder
All u-joints have been replaced. It made the noise before and after replacing them.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

JWestfall wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:03 am All u-joints have been replaced. It made the noise before and after replacing them.
Axle joints too? you can usually feel those in the steering wheel when you turn though. Not doubting what you have done, just putting out more ideas.

I have seen the tin seal reatainer bent making it squeak, seen the seal gone to causing the same thing. I've had the pilot bushing in the spindle cause squeaks along with the plastic thrust washer missing causing squeaks.

You can see the tin seal holder in the pic with the stub shaft. the other pic is of the thrust washer.

Then I see you've got a close knuckle Dana 30 and the only thing that applies out of what I typed out is the pilot bearing or bushing. Decided to leave it, so it might help someone else in the future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Topic author
JWestfall

Post by JWestfall »

Axle u-joints have been replaced as well as re-packed bearings. Thanks for all the tips. The "chirping" almost sounds under the dash, which makes me think front of transfer case. I know sounds are really hard to trace, especially with chorus of other squeaks and rattles. Anyway, just looking to see if this is a must fix or leave it for a while sort of thing. Thanks again.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

You've hit all the big points, I wouldn't worry too much about anything serious happening, it will get better, go away or be obvious at some point. From what you've done, I'd run it.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Topic author
JWestfall

Post by JWestfall »

Thanks gentlemen, I think I will go with it and not worry about it at this point.
"When you get the answer your looking for; hang up the phone". Billy Beane in Moneyball