Trusted alignment shops in PDX

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
weeegoneeer

Trusted alignment shops in PDX

Post by weeegoneeer »

Hey all! Went to Les Schwab to have my tires changed out (first pair I got 50k on!), and figured I'd get it aligned at the same time. I have -0.5 camber and 3.3 caster. Wanted to charge me a couple hundred buck to adjust cams and didn't mention shimming so I noped out of there.

It's not far out, but would like it not to be out at all. Anyone know of an alignment shop in the PDX area that's familiar with our rigs?
1984 GW

devildog80

Re: Trusted alignment shops in PDX

Post by devildog80 »

With guidance on this forum, and some youtube vids, you can adjust yourself.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

It's not too bad to do it yourself; just takes some patience and careful measurements. Once you get the tie rod set, just adjust the drag link until straight when you drive it is straight on the wheel.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

Thank you for the replies!

I do know I could do it myself - I do my own work on my rig - have already rebuilt the engine, built the wiring harnesses, designed an instrument cluster / etc/etc because it was interesting to me and had another vehicle to get around.

In this case, it's now my DD and don't have the time to find shims, probably buy tools, use them and find alignment through trial and error when I could drop it off to someone with a machine to pull accurate alignment measurements, and get it back in a day or two with a before/after sheet for a couple hundred bucks and peace of mind.

There's gotta be someone in the area!
1984 GW

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Shims? As long as you measure from the same height on the front and back of the tires, you could theoretically do it with just another person and get it pretty close.

I do understand tho.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.