Windshield Wiper coverage

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Blueman85

Windshield Wiper coverage

Post by Blueman85 »

Getting ready to tackle an issue I've had since owning the Jeep. From day one the wipers have not covered the entire front windshield. They stop about 2" short of the drivers side left edge. The passenger wiper also stops short on its sweep leaving an open gap in the middle. I know this is not the end of the world, but after a couple of years owning the jeep it gets annoying. Here in Florida, it rains ALOT.

I tested the motor using the Park Test as outlined in the TSM. Both blades parked at the base of the windshield. With that said, the passenger side is supposed to stop per the workshop manual 2-7/8'' from what appears the base of the windshield to the middle of the wiper arm. Mine park consistently only 1.5'' from the windshield. The drivers side is consistent with the passenger.

This extra inch and a half on both sides would appear to correct the sweep.

According to the Workshop Manual: "If the wiper motor does not park correctly, replace or repair the wiper motor"

I know this sounds stupid, but would you consider the wiper arms parking too low as not "parking correctly", meaning a new motor is in order? or should I be looking at something else?

Oh, and YES I have the right sized blades. First thing I checked :)
1985 GW- 287k, 360/T727/229, AMC 20, Edelbrock AVS 1906, Edelbrock Performer manifold, Hedman hedders

tgreese

Re: Windshield Wiper coverage

Post by tgreese »

Please correct me if I'm wrong - fairly sure that the motor just goes around and around, while the back-and-forth is due to the linkage. If the motor runs and parks, I'd say that has no connection to the windshield coverage.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Yup.

I'd think if there was wear in the geartrain in the motor they would slap at the ends of the strokes. Do you feel much play?

Arms misplaced on the shafts?

No help for your problem but I used to have to travel to the Cape several times a year. Always took a bottle of Rainex and treated the windshield before leaving the airport.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Blueman85

Post by Blueman85 »

After the wipers run for a little while (maybe a couple of minutes, the drivers side especially) gets sloppy and ends the wipe sooner by about a half inch and does hit the bottom of the windshield.

Might be me accustomed to the newer light speed wipers on todays cars but they always seem to run a bit slow even on high speed.

Do either these change the equation?

Rainex has been my friend up to now :)
1985 GW- 287k, 360/T727/229, AMC 20, Edelbrock AVS 1906, Edelbrock Performer manifold, Hedman hedders

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Agreed your wiper arms may need pulled off the splined shaft that works them, and adjusted a little.

But you might have some wear in the linkage up under the dash too, and might need to check that.

Should be able to go through the glove box, by taking the insert out to see what is going on, or look up from under the dash.

Might need to turn the wipers on, then stick your "smart phone" on video or a GoPro up under there, and take some video to see what is happening when wipers are working.

Either way you can get an eye on it, you will need to do some work if repairs are needed, by taking out or moving most anything connected under or in through the face of the dash to get to the wiper system on the inside of the truck.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Sounds like what my wipers were doing right before the motor died on me. They were inconsistent with where they stopped, as it turned out, this was because the teeth inside were stripping. It got to the point where I only had wipers IF the one good tooth happened to catch (which was extremely rare).

Once you get a new motor (comes w/the gearbox assembly), then you can put the wiper arms where they need to be.

You probably haven't noticed it because it's been so gradual, but I bet when you get a new one it will sound insanely quiet compared to the one that you have now.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
Blueman85

Post by Blueman85 »

Just a quick update:

Yup, motor is fine. Sent a camera up under the dash and all appeared working as normal. As it turns out, the PO must have replaced the arms at one point and did not set them to the correct location on the pivot shaft..I removed the tabs, then the arms (with a little help from the $7 Lisle tool) cleaned them up, repainted and replaced to the correct set-up and shocker, the wipers work perfectly now. Thanks for all the input. I Kick myself for putting this simple fix off this long.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

The FSJs call for a 16" blade. I found that 17" work fine and give a little more vertical coverage of windshield.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

That is good news.

Glad you got them fixed up :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified