Old License Plates

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
sierrablue

Old License Plates

Post by sierrablue »

OK, so looking through some stuff that came in a Hefty box in the back of the Jeep, there are some old license plates. One of them is from Oregon in 2011 (say '12 but I assume that's when they expired), which is the person the PO bought it from, and one is an Idaho plate, from back in the mid '90s. (and then there are the ones that came on it and the one extra since I'm only running a rear plate)(I also put my old high school parking pass in the box, in case anyone gets it later and wants to know about its life, and somehow there aren't any references...though I never plan to sell it :D). There is also an old ('11) Department of Defense sticker in the windshield. I have the location of where the PO picked it up, and there is an Army chemical base of some sort nearby.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a place I can look up information on who had the Jeep, and potentially find some old pictures/stories. Or if you can somehow look up the military tags somewhere...this Jeep has had some weird (and awesome--some of the upgrades are exactly what I would've done) stuff done to it, and I'm just curious since I have SOME information...

Thanks guys!
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
sierrablue

Re: Old License Plates

Post by sierrablue »

Also, on the off chance that anybody on here used to own it, it was originally Island Blue, with the Custom trim. It had the Crager 5-spoke Jeep hubcaps (which I'm kind of mad the previous owner got rid of, since they're IMPOSSIBLE to find). Used to have massive towing mirrors, about 15 gauges (around the steering column, under the dash, and on the passenger's side metal screen). Was on Good Year Wranglers when the PO got it (235/75r15). Has 3.50 gears, and a 3" driveshaft from some local shop in Oregon. '74-'76 D44 front end w/disc brakes, rear 6-lug axle shafts and drilled drums.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Hmm. If I were serious about finding past history, I guess I would start with one or more of the car history services, like CarFax. AFAIK they search public records to tell you everything they can find legally about your car's history. Seems unlikely they would go back to 1971, but if the car was registered for all or part of that time, they should be able to find something. Won't be free; you could do it yourself if you knew where to look in the public records and were willing to search and organize the records.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carfax_%2 ... n_sourcing
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

My other thought was contacting the OR and ID DMV (DVS?) and see what they can/will tell me.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

shortbus4x4

Post by shortbus4x4 »

Oregon and Army chemical base is Umatilla. They used to have a lot of nasty stuff stored there.

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Really? Interesting. Probably not good, but interesting. Although it's been repainted and had the interior totally redone since then, so it's probably not a huge risk for me. Hopefully.

Does anybody know how to look up the Department of Defense permit stickers from like 10 years ago? Is there even a way to do that? Here's the sticker...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070