Mystery white plug

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
lattywagon

Mystery white plug

Post by lattywagon »

Hello everyone! This is my first post. I looked around on the forum but couldn't find any information (apologies in advance to the moderator). I recently acquired a 1989 Grand Wagoneer and I am trying to reconnect a mystery white plug (pic attached). One of the wires goes to the parking brake. For context, the vehicle was used as a hunting transport and at one point all of the door were removed. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

will e

Re: Mystery white plug

Post by will e »

Probably stereo. Either the head unit or the aux amp that some came with.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Regarding the wire to the parking brake, I think you'll find that does not go to the white plug but instead goes into the wire bundle. That looks like the wire that activates the light on the panel when you set the parking brake. It's a ground that is only grounded when the pedal is down.

That suggests to me that this is a factory connector, since the black wire is definitely factory, and it's wrapped up with the parking brake wire. There is an '89 TSM here https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html that has a chapter for the model 15 factory radio. Does not look exactly the same to me, but it may be close (could be something entirely different). Or it could be for a head unit or aux amp, as suggested above. Radio-related seems likely. Suggest you explore the wiring diagrams in the '89 manual and maybe the '89 circuit diagrams in the electrical section on that site.

You can buy an '89 TSM, which would be the best authority for these types of questions.

First post - welcome from chilly Massachusetts!
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
lattywagon

Post by lattywagon »

Super helpful...thanks!

ScottinTexas

Post by ScottinTexas »

our 89 is at the mechanic at the moment but when we get it back (hopefully in the next day or two) I'll check
Helping my daughter with her 1989 Grand Wagoneer 8-) :)

runuover86gw

Post by runuover86gw »

The other end of that connector should be close by. It should be one end of the stuff that is for your chime module and also for your courtesy lights by your feet. That should be enough to get you where you need to be. You should be able to look at the schematics to get the rest. Or let me know if you are having problems still.
Josh's Classic Custom Auto Electronics LLC, Owner/Founder
https://www.facebook.com/JoshsFSJRelayKits
1986 GW 360/NP229/TF727/Dana 44's
1986 Comanche
1979 Wagoneer Limited 360/Quadra-Trac/Turbo 400/Dana 44's