Catching up

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Catching up

Post by Harry Dawg »

What's up y'all.

Feel like I haven't heard from any of my pals on here in a minute. Hope everyone is doing good.

Been traveling for work and staying in the garage most of the time.

Got the body stripped down and did some rust treatment. Also shot a coat of epoxy primer on it.

Got some new 35's for $400 bucks today. I really just wanted the tires, and I plan to swap on the wagon wheels at some point soon. Still a good deal on some Pro Comp mudders with wheels though I thought.

Installed a pull through electric fuel pump and a new gas tank from BJ's.

@threepiece also hooked me up with some patch panels for the tail gate, so I've got all the metal work done. Thanks for your help again.

I was lucky to get a coat of primer on last weekend. It's getting cold here in North GA, so I think I'll have to wait till spring for the base coat.

I've picked up a factory power steering assembly, so that should keep me occupied with rebuild and install for a month or so.

Also want to build an interior cage / bar thing to mount racing harnesses and a MOLLE panel to for behind the seat storage. Might also do the water pump. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
Rhino USA Brand Success Manager
South East Offroad Activist

Kowpie

Re: Catching up

Post by Kowpie »

Nice to see another one saved, looking good. Those patch panels are awesome! Did you say the fuel tank is new? Maybe it is the picture but that tank looks like it has seen a few turns around the sun? The underside of the bed looks decent. Are the lower corners of the bed solid? I will be doing mine in the coming years and was wondering if it is a common problem area. Thanks for sharing.

Gary
'65 Wagoneer, 230 OHC, IFS, Column Shift T90/D20
'73 J4000, 6000#, 258, T18/D20, 33", full disc.
'79 CJ7, 304, T18/D20, 35", 4.56, SOA, shackle reversal.

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Well, it was new until I installed it and took it out about 15 times!
I had to weld in mounting bolts, as the tank straps that came from BJ's did not work with the factory mounting points.
That being said, there was a lot of test fitting and what not to be done, so it got some beauty marks.
I also did all this single handedly, so it probably would have gone more smoothly if I had a helper.

I went over the underside of the bed with a wire wheel, and painted the whole thing in under coating. It looks even better now.

The lower corners of the bed were rusted to hell when I got the truck. The back half of this bed is actually from a different truck.
Checkout this thread for some more info on that. https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... op#p214550

I see your in Southern Oregon.
If I had to give any advice, I would say it will save you a lot of time and headache to ride down to So Cal and pick up a rust free box.
I see them all the time on Facebook marketplace, but being in GA that is a bit of a long haul for me.

I know you said you want to keep this truck factory, so I can understand if you'd rather work with what you got.
1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Mine didn’t fit with the provided straps well either. However they held it there fine while I installed the skid plate, which holds it in place just fine and if something happens to the skid they do provide a secondary containment for the tank, keeping it in the truck.

Glad to see your making progress, keep it up😎
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

@Harry Dawg, what suspension is on that truck? It has a nice rake to it
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Thanks @akguy09.

I like the rake too. Gives it that shackled up old school look.

Leaf springs are part of the 4" lift kit from Hell Creek.
Shocks are Rancho XL5000's. I think they are 36" fully extended.

I believe you have a J10? If so, this kit won't be an option for you as these springs are designed specifically for the post mount springs found on the early J-trucks.

This may be a good thing though, as the J10 lifts are much more affordably priced. Should you want to investigate the J10 lift kit from Hell Creek, here is a link to their website. http://www.hellcreeksuspensions.com/

Don't quote me on this, but I believe they build all their spring kits to match factory rake angle.

You can call Tom up and ask. He is great to work with an has in depth product knowledge.