70' Wagoneer

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
roesters

70' Wagoneer

Post by roesters »

Greetings y'all. New guy here so go easy please. :) I purchased a 70' Wagoneer a few years back and am finally getting around to doing some stuff on it. My question is this: Is there any way to get the trim code from the VIN number. I've located the two VIN tags on the driver side door pillars. I've also located one tag (kaiser/jeep) on the firewall passenger side. There looks to be some residue above this tag and can only assume this is where it once was located. Nothing on the driver side firewall. Not fully interested in doing a full restoration on this gal but I think it would be nice to know for sure what paint/trim options she came with. I've attached a few photos (hopefully they come through) to look at. The door trim and back seat match and it looks like the front seat has been replaced (black). But what do I know. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

will e

Re: 70' Wagoneer

Post by will e »

http://www.ifsja.org/tech/figures/vin68-70.html

1414019 308849

14 door waggy
14 door station wagon
0 disregard (not a special model)
1 left had drive
9 came with a v8-327

Looks like original paint, the color of the paint is not included in the identification numbers.

Great to have you aboard! You'll find this site to be a great one for information and encouragement.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

No paint and trim in the VIN, in any Jeep year through the '80s.

On a '70, there should be a paint and trim tag on the right side of the firewall. These are embossed foil held on with glue - the glue dries out and they are often lost.

paintandtrimtag.png

If the tag is lost, I would suggest looking at the vehicle and matching the paint colors and trim codes in the factory parts book, free to read and download on the Tom COllins site. https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html

Welcome from eastern Massachusetts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Herk

Post by Herk »

Would have had the 350 Buick not the 327 Rambler which was out of production after 67. Paint on door post appears to be Avacado Mist (431). Wagoneers were typically all one color while trucks were commonly two-tone with color on the lower body sides and white above. Rear seat has the original vinyl, and the front has obviously been recovered.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I would add - Jeep did not explicitly put the model year in the VIN prior to 1972. Year could be assigned by the dealer at time of registration. Sometimes you can infer the year of production from the sequential serial number, and the vehicle equipment.

The AMC 327 V8 was long gone by 1970. I would expect a Buick 350 V8 in that year. This also looks like the 1970 color "Avocado Mist metallic." This could be a two-tone (white above) or single color.

Look here - http://www.ifsja.org/tech/figures/vin68-70.html
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
roesters

Post by roesters »

Thank you all for the response! I was pretty sure that the color was "Avocado Mist" and since the rear seat and the door trim matched, that was the original color for the interior. Just a bummer that I couldn't locate the trim code. Oh well. After viewing the VIN again the suffix is in the 3XX,XXX's so that would suggest a Buick V8. The good ol' Dauntless. Got a few appointments these next few weeks on getting the trans rebuilt and the engine rebuilt as well. Past that, I'll be on a steady diet of ramen and water so I can afford all the stuff that I want. Thank you all again for the information and welcoming me into the forum.

Cheers and best wishes from Northern Utah.

mud89

Post by mud89 »

For the trim code it's a little more tricky:
There is an interior and exterior change for the Wagoneers advertised in january 1970, but the very first rigs with the changes were produced during december 1969 , so same production date than yours.
If your wagoneer has the big orange reflectors on the front fenders , it was produced before the changes, and the trim code is 229 : rawhide bench for standard wagoneers
Otherwise , it's the new trim code 312 : buckskin bench for standard wagoneers
Comparing with my pictures database, it's 312, your bench doesn't match with the early ones
J10 81, J10 77, CJ7 80, Gladiator 64, Wagoneer 65, ZJ 5.9
parts vehicles : wagoneer 63, cherokee Golden eagle