New Fuel Tank in '66 Wagoneer

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
AZOutdoors

New Fuel Tank in '66 Wagoneer

Post by AZOutdoors »

The old fuel tank in the ’66 Wagoneer was too far gone to repair so I had to replace it. Using other’s suggestions, I decided to mount a tank behind the rear axle. Took quite a bit of research to figure out the best solution for a fuel sender. I wanted one that had the correct ohms for the gauge, and a pickup tube since I wanted to mount the fuel pump external to the tank. I had to make an adaptor plate to fit the smaller sender base onto the larger tank opening. Not the prettiest job, but it works. For those that are interested in doing this, I used a SpectraGM18D tank, Spectra FG71A fuel sender, Spectra ST08 straps and some rubber pads. I bolted the straps to a cross brace in the back of the Jeep and then welded tables on the round cross member in front of the tank to secure the straps.
TankFromBack.jpg
IMG_3218.JPG
IMG_3220.JPG
SenderAdapter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: New Fuel Tank in '66 Wagoneer

Post by rocklaurence »

Looks to fit well an that area. Did the fill and vent hoses all connect or did you have to modify them? Also, what's the capacity?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

That fuel tank would solve a significant component installing fuel injection on your Jeep. The original GM fuel pump would drop in, and all you'd need to do is connect it.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
AZOutdoors

Post by AZOutdoors »

Rocklaurence -the tank is 19 Gallon. I had to modify the fill hose but the vent hose fit (replaced it with a new one). I cut and tapped into the existing hard pipe on the filler hose and then used a 1 3/4" to 2" I.D. adapter to get it to the right size for the tank. I bought two 90 degree rubber fuel elbows (one 1 3/4" and the other 2") and cut them and attached them to the reduced to get the right angles and distance. This whole fuel hose think was harder to figure out than mounting the tank :o
Tgreese - Future upgrade to EFI was in my thought process when I went this route. For now I just want to get it running as is with the Holley...but I used lines and fittings that will handle EFI if I decide to go that way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

I would recommend to replace the screw clamps with spring clamps, while you are there, as the screw clamps deteriorate quickly and can pop loose.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified