Roof rack supports

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
1988SCWaggy

Roof rack supports

Post by 1988SCWaggy »

Has anyone used the roof rack supports from BJs?
The rack doesn’t seem like it can secure a lot of weight. Wondering if these can help and are waterproof.

https://www.bjsoffroad.com/Roof-Rack-H ... _2012.html

will e

Re: Roof rack supports

Post by will e »

I have used them in two of my rigs for aftermarket roof racks. They work great for distributing the weight. I am not sure if they will help much on a stock rack, the stock rack can't hold a lot of weight.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
1988SCWaggy

Post by 1988SCWaggy »

will e wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:42 pm I have used them in two of my rigs for aftermarket roof racks. They work great for distributing the weight. I am not sure if they will help much on a stock rack, the stock rack can't hold a lot of weight.
I am just planning on a kayak, paddle board. Think stock bolts and rack are sufficient?

Do those BJ plates come with rubber gaskets? How do they get a waterproof seal?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The stock rack is inspired by the "station wagon" - originally used to transport hotel guests from the train station to the hotel and back. It's meant to hold suitcases full of clothes.

The rack is held by rubber well nuts installed from the outside. In the day, you could buy the rack as a kit and install it on any Wagoneer. The BJ's text is right, that you can rip the well nuts out if you pull up on the rack with enough force. However, its only job is to keep suitcases from sliding off the roof, and it seems ok for that.

I would guess this product will reinforce the fastening of the bars to the roof. However, the luggage pretty much rests on the roof panel with the stock rack. Might be ok, depending on what you want.
Last edited by tgreese on Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

for heavy loads, gutter mounts.

As for a kayak, you can wrap the tie downs thru the doors for the side to side and add from and rear anchors, put paddings were needed
KayakTrip.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

80Limited

Post by 80Limited »

1988SCWaggy wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:41 am
will e wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:42 pm I have used them in two of my rigs for aftermarket roof racks. They work great for distributing the weight. I am not sure if they will help much on a stock rack, the stock rack can't hold a lot of weight.
I am just planning on a kayak, paddle board. Think stock bolts and rack are sufficient?

Do those BJ plates come with rubber gaskets? How do they get a waterproof seal?
I made a set of my own. I just use silicone on the screws.