JEEP GRAND WAGONEER RUST FREE BODIES VALUE?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
88amcsuv

JEEP GRAND WAGONEER RUST FREE BODIES VALUE?

Post by 88amcsuv »

Hello fellow members. I live in the South, Alabama specifically, and we don't have much of a problem with rust. I'm just curious what members in the rust belt area would be willing to pay for a rust free rolling chassis. I'm thinking about how much rust repair and panel replacement cost today and I figure an easy $5,000 plus depending on the severity. Would a rust free body be worth that and more to a person in the rust belt that has a good running Wagoneer that is rusted out. Just curious. Any and everyone please chime in on this idea. I see the prices on good Wagoneers going through the roof with many running ones needing some rust repair bringing anywhere up to $20,000. I myself think that the prices some are bringing is ridiculous. I'm thinking about trying to see what I can find in none running high mile bad interior but rust free bodies and was just wondering what the demand for such a thing would be and how much I could sell them for. In the past I have bought around 20 Wagoneers, stripped them and sold what I could then sold the perfect rust free bodies for scrap. This was over 12 years ago but I still believe that I can find a few that are left if it's worth my time and effort. Let's just say I have never paid more than $800 for a running driving Wagoneer in those days. and as little as $200 for a solid rust free non running one. Don't get me wrong I'm no idiot and realize that those prices are long gone and good rust free bodies are getting extremely rare, I just believe there are still some out there in peoples pastures, barns, garages and behind their house. Let me know what you think.
1976 AMC Gremlin V-8 ordered new, needs restoring
1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 401, turbo 400, dana 20 twin stick, dana 44's with 3:73 gears and 4 wheel disc brakes, 33x10.50Rx15LT tires on factory slots, hydro boost, 6 inch Rusty's lift (removing rear 2" blocks and put new 4" front springs can't get in too high), with new upholstery, carpet, stereo and speakers, my own version of on and off road emergency kit.
1998 Mercury Mountaineer daily driver
2006 Ford F-150, Lariat, extended cab, 5.4L, 2WD

devildog80

Re: JEEP GRAND WAGONEER RUST FREE BODIES VALUE?

Post by devildog80 »

If you think you have a sellable product, and I think you do, see what you could come up with for transport costs to get them there.

Perhaps a partner you could find in the rust belt, you could ship them to the "North" yard, so seekers would have somewhere closer to shop from.

With the cost of fuel going up, you would need to ship as many as you could on each load, to spread that over all the pieces on each trip, and still make it affordable for buyers on the other end.

If the bodies are truly rust free and relatively good condition, a complete rust free body should easily be worth $5k. I am thinking all glass and doors intact and working. Minus doors or glass, then adjust price accordingly.

Frame & body rust free complete, maybe $7500 not out of the question, for someone to drop their own running gear in/under it and go.

Now.......paperwork might kill the whole thing.

As you would be selling the VIN portion of the vehicle, you would need to research what all that would involve, to transfer from you to the new owner. Not to mention transport from state to state.

Might work if you did not transport them yourself, and all customers would come to you, but you would need clean title on each one to re-sell for anyone going to re-title and use on the road.

Again.....just my $.02
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified