zip ties, electrical tape and random fittings OH MY!!!!!

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Moparmikeo

zip ties, electrical tape and random fittings OH MY!!!!!

Post by Moparmikeo »

The engine bay of our 82 Wagoneer is a maze of randomly, incorrectly routed hoses secured with zip ties, electrical tape and other non-standard means. After getting shredded by zip ties when I replaced the steering shaft last weekend, the need to re-route everything somewhat correctly is moving higher up on the to-do list. Since all of the ancient hoses need replaced, should tidy it up in the process! Does anyone have a couple of good photos of a stock, or near-stock 360 powered FSJ that I can use as a roadmap??

I've attached a few photos for the entertainment value.

Thanks!

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
82 Wagoneer Limited, A/K/A "Roscoe"

Was: brown metallic/Nutmeg

Now: Turd brown house paint/Nutmeg

tgreese

Re: zip ties, electrical tape and random fittings OH MY!!!!!

Post by tgreese »

Mmm. Owning an '82 J20, I don't see much out of place. The Tom Collins site will have a vacuum diagram you can follow. The wiring was originally bundled inside the plastic wire loom. There's one main branch across the firewall, some wires that dive down the firewall to the transmission area, a branch that goes forward along the driver's side inner fender, and a branch that goes forward from the firewall along the passenger side of the engine. If want to replace the plastic loom, you can purchase it many places, including Parts Express, Del-City, and Waytec.

Suggest you take one item at a time and tidy it. Looked at from above, it's never going to look organized.

I would replace the radiator hoses with the proper molded hoses and keep what's there as trail spares. Gates and Dayco are good. Heater hoses are a common source of trouble on the highway. I would replace those too with a quality hose like Gates. I would get rid of the pipe fitting hackery.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

A couple of quick snaps - fortunate for you I am working at home today and it's a lovely day.

82J20underhoodleft.jpg
82J20underhoodright.jpg

Aluminum is my repair of the broken fan shroud. Battery is in the garage on a minder. Vapor canister is from an XJ; I built the bracket.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Moparmikeo

Post by Moparmikeo »

tgreese wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:16 am Mmm. Owning an '82 J20, I don't see much out of place. The Tom Collins site will have a vacuum diagram you can follow. The wiring was originally bundled inside the plastic wire loom. There's one main branch across the firewall, some wires that dive down the firewall to the transmission area, a branch that goes forward along the driver's side inner fender, and a branch that goes forward from the firewall along the passenger side of the engine. If want to replace the plastic loom, you can purchase it many places, including Parts Express, Del-City, and Waytec.

Suggest you take one item at a time and tidy it. Looked at from above, it's never going to look organized.

I would replace the radiator hoses with the proper molded hoses and keep what's there as trail spares. Gates and Dayco are good. Heater hoses are a common source of trouble on the highway. I would replace those too with a quality hose like Gates. I would get rid of the pipe fitting hackery.
Thank you! I do have the Vacuum diagram, as well as the molded hoses. Heater hose coming, just have to double check the correct size I think it's 5/8. The best hackers doesn't show up in the photo, a shut valve spliced 8nto the heater hose. I bet the previous owner was a plumber :lol:
82 Wagoneer Limited, A/K/A "Roscoe"

Was: brown metallic/Nutmeg

Now: Turd brown house paint/Nutmeg

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I think one heater hose is 5/8" and the other is 3/4". Be prepared for fun when disconnecting that hose clamp on the water pump behind the accessory brackets.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD