Gear shift indicator 87 GrandWagoneer

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
grandwag87

Gear shift indicator 87 GrandWagoneer

Post by grandwag87 »

Hello all FSJ owners. My midlife crisis is now complete as I have finally found my GW, A nice rust free 87 that I am only the third owner. After spending lots of time studying various threads on this network, the one question that I have not found an answer is where does one go to get the clip and other piece that attaches to the clip that holds the gearshift indicator on the tilt steering column? I know I can get an actual gear indicator needle from a couple of different sites but not the two small pieces of metal hardware that actually attach it to the steering column. Any ideas?

MrTea

Re: Gear shift indicator 87 GrandWagoneer

Post by MrTea »

You have pics of what they look like? I might be able to get you a part number from Napa if they have one or if Ford has the same thing in those years I might be able to get you something close.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Topic author
grandwag87

Post by grandwag87 »

Thanks for the reply. Below is the diagram that I found on a Mopar parts website. I’m looking for parts number 25 and 26. The part numbers are 83502572 and 83502571 on the Mopar website. These two small metallic pieces keep the needle attached to the steering column right behind the tilt aspect at about the 11 o’clock position when the vehicles in park.
E1DC9249-4497-4498-AAFF-02E525F39DEB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MrTea

Post by MrTea »

Went through Napa, Ford, and checked all over the internet and all I could find is the whole PRLND indicator. Might have to check junk yards or eBay to see if you can find one. Called a gear shift indicator is how I found it. Did find that gmc used the same style in the '80s and before. Could not find any Ford that used the same style. The first number interchanges to jeep shocks!

Topic author
grandwag87

Post by grandwag87 »

I appreciate your efforts. I will continue to shift by “feel“. have a great weekend.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Look in the junkyards for the 80s/early 90s GM full size vans/conversion vans. They use the same style shifter. I'd wager the part interchanges.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
grandwag87

Post by grandwag87 »

There are a couple of other general Jeep forms that I look for similar information regarding this particular little metal clip and whenever this question is asked everyone just laughs. Now it’s personal, I will start looking at the vans suggested. Thanks for the tip.

letank

Post by letank »

here it is on an 86, a bit blurry, but you get the idea
GearShifterIndicaterBaseDSLs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
grandwag87

Post by grandwag87 »

Believe it or not I was successful at the first local salvage place today. And that was after having the tiny rectangular piece that accepts the actual needle in my grasp only to drop it down into the steering column. Fortunately I found another 80 something Chevy work van that had the same indicator piece and this time I did not drop it!

MrTea

Post by MrTea »

Cool! That's good you found one! Junk yards are the best. I have a sawzaw if you want to go after the other one so you have a spare! Also check the sale area on here. Someone might have a wagoneer to part out.

ScottinTexas

Post by ScottinTexas »

great to hear ! one more piece of the puzzle put together
Helping my daughter with her 1989 Grand Wagoneer 8-) :)

men in black
Vendor

Post by men in black »

If you need a shift indicator, I make four versions of these https://www.flickr.com/photos/157460460 ... ed-public/
1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior.. 70,000 miles,
Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
Full Corinthian leather front and rear seat. custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle-trap on floor. Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

craigldavis

Post by craigldavis »

I'm interested in a shift indicator (and maybe some rear panels?) for a '90. I'm too new to send a PM though