Our new 1989 GW

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
ScottinTexas

Our new 1989 GW

Post by ScottinTexas »

Thank you for hosting a place for us,

I say "our" because my aspiring mechanic, 17yr old daughter wanted a jeep. A very gracious neighbor sold us his 1989 GW that had been sitting as an extra vehicle for 15 years for the price of new tires he had put on last Thanksgiving. How can you pass that up ??

It has 160K miles, we know the previous three owners, original owner was a lady school teacher, drove it just over 100k and sold it, 2nd owner bought it for family use but didn't get much use, 3rd owner was my neighbor, his son drove it about 30k but didn't mod it up at all, the engine was rebuilt in 2001 then he let his daughter use it while she was in between vehicles, a month later the jiffy lube put the wrong filter on it for her and it got another new engine. For about the last 12 years I have looked at it parked in his driveway, never moving but starting it occasionally. Last fall the a tire went flat and that was enough for the HOA to write him a letter, he got new tires on, drove it around the neighborhood a couple times and parked it behind the fence. He tried to start it over Christmas and found a racoon sleeping under the hood (still trying to work "raccoon" into the FSJ's name somehow) and it wouldn't start.

He knew my daughter was an aspiring mechanic and I'm real cheap, we've changed oil and brakes on all the vehicles and just fixed the blend door on the neighbor's mitsubishi,

pushed it into our driveway on Saturday, Sunday went through two batteries, a jump start session and almost a full can of carb cleaner but go it idling well, added another 4 gallons of fresh gas to the 1/4 tank that was there, a can of HEAT and seafoam and took a quick drive around the neighborhood,

We created a laundry list of items to address but to get it inspected and titled we just need a rear brake bulb and fix the parking brake which I hope to do today.
waggy.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Helping my daughter with her 1989 Grand Wagoneer 8-) :)

jpswapmohn

Re: Our new 1989 GW

Post by jpswapmohn »

Awesome project! Old school is relatively straightforward to work on. Keep us posted.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

will e

Post by will e »

Great story. Mechanic will be a good profession; I hope she sticks with it. Thanks for joining and I think you will find this a great place for help and encouragement.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

Great Daddy/Daughter project. My First vehicle was an '81 Jeep Cherokee, damn I miss that one
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Woohoo! Sounds like a great project.

There is a 1989 Jeep factory service manual here https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html free to read and download. It's a big file; I suggest you download it to your desktop computer and read it there. You can also get a printed copy from BJs if you prefer. https://www.bjsoffroad.com/1989-Jeep-Fa ... _1059.html If your daughter is into this stuff, she may enjoy reading it just to learn about her Jeep and how to fix it. It's the absolute best reference for this car though - avoid the Haynes or CHiltons manuals sold in book stores and parts stores. They cover too many years and are rife with errors.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

bdrainy

Post by bdrainy »

Great project and can't beat the price! Welcome to the forum!

-Brian

letank

Post by letank »

Cheers to your dedication, I fix neighbors' car as well.... my kids have become really jealous of the attention that the wagoneer(s) get.... number (of jeeps) undisclosed to prevent being carried to the mental institute...

Very good project, and keep driving it... the ethanol in gas is a real PITA, if not driven regularly, the idle ports in the booster venturi get plugged... easy job, carb cleaner in the little tubes... but wear eye protection
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
ScottinTexas

Post by ScottinTexas »

The State of Texas graciously approved our Waggy for public road use on Saturday.

After mysteriously dying at idle and not restarting we figured out the PO had the fuel filter attached backwards. It runs slightly rougher now but I think we may have broken a few more vacuum lines. The entire vacuum line system I think is going to be next on our list of engine items to fix.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Let the Story Begin!! If you dont have inspections in Texas get rid of all the vacuum stuff. Also, add an HEI distributor[get rid of the Spark module on the fender] and maybe an electric fuel pump. Those 3 items are pains that everyone runs into with the FSJs

Topic author
ScottinTexas

Post by ScottinTexas »

We were able to get legal yesterday so we can really drive it and get some new gas through it,

Still idling very rough in gear, park idle is very smooth along with acceleration,

Parking brake light is still on,
resize new plates.jpg
also pulled the headliner so we won't be getting "dusted" every time we drive,
now to decide to try to do it ourselves ( front panel was sagging from water damage at the rear ) or buy BJ's new backer boards,

I got an estimate from a little local shop for $800., I must be getting old because that seems like a lot !
resize headliner out.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
ScottinTexas

Post by ScottinTexas »

rocklaurence wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:03 pm Let the Story Begin!! If you dont have inspections in Texas get rid of all the vacuum stuff. Also, add an HEI distributor[get rid of the Spark module on the fender] and maybe an electric fuel pump. Those 3 items are pains that everyone runs into with the FSJs
and thank you for putting "get rid of all that vacuum stuff" in my head, I had just convinced my self to go back all stock to keep it simple tracking down problems, I'm only junior grade so I don't really know/understand what I need and don't need to run good,

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

JMO - don't go nuts with the vacuum removal stuff. Much of it is there because they could hardly meet the air quality standards of the day with the vacuum-driven devices that they had on a carbureted car. Addition of electronic fuel injection made mixture control much more precise and controllable, with many fewer external devices needed.

Some of the vacuum controlled stuff is beneficial, and you don't want to get rid of it. The fuel vapor recovery system, for example. 50-states-legal fuel injection is available for this Jeep as a bolt-on kit from Howell. https://howellefi.com/product/tbi-kit-1 ... ons-legal/ Their manual shows a very much simplified vacuum diagram that might be good to emulate, even if you don't go with the Howell kit.

Not a big fan of the HEI distributors either. https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 77#p210577
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Dr.Bob

Post by Dr.Bob »

Congratulations! That is an awesome project and especially that your daughter is interested in working on it.

The proper oil filter can be tricky, because Jeep changed the filter thread two times in its last few years of production, and if a rebuilder uses an oil filter nipple from another year, the oil change people won't know what to put on there. So if you have an oil filter on there right now that works, cross list its number and find the actual year application it fits so that you don't have another destroyed engine by using the wrong oil filter.

As for the vacuum system under the hood, it looks really complex, but it really is only a few subsystems that you can tackle one at a time.

I made a video series designed for beginners that walks you through each system and goes into detail on rebuilding the most complex of them, the spark advance vacuum harness:

Part 1:

https://youtu.be/GReFi9Z59cA

Part 2:

https://youtu.be/z8Lg-GsbYDk

Part 3:

https://youtu.be/oMXUsV2LzHU

I also have videos on there for rebuilding the carburetor and the shift linkage and other such basic things that make driving our FSJs so much better.

Good luck with your new project!

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Make sure you refresh the outside of the roof before doing the inside, as the roof rack seals can get leaky, and ruin all that hard work!

"also pulled the headliner so we won't be getting "dusted" every time we drive,
now to decide to try to do it ourselves ( front panel was sagging from water damage at the rear ) or buy BJ's new backer boards,"

Kudos to you and daughter, for keeping another Waggy alive :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

2nd Day

Post by 2nd Day »

Dr.Bob wrote:Congratulations! That is an awesome project and especially that your daughter is interested in working on it.

The proper oil filter can be tricky, because Jeep changed the filter thread two times in its last few years of production, and if a rebuilder uses an oil filter nipple from another year, the oil change people won't know what to put on there. So if you have an oil filter on there right now that works, cross list its number and find the actual year application it fits so that you don't have another destroyed engine by using the wrong oil filter.

As for the vacuum system under the hood, it looks really complex, but it really is only a few subsystems that you can tackle one at a time.

I made a video series designed for beginners that walks you through each system and goes into detail on rebuilding the most complex of them, the spark advance vacuum harness:

Part 1:

https://youtu.be/GReFi9Z59cA

Part 2:

https://youtu.be/z8Lg-GsbYDk

Part 3:

https://youtu.be/oMXUsV2LzHU

I also have videos on there for rebuilding the carburetor and the shift linkage and other such basic things that make driving our FSJs so much better.

Good luck with your new project!
Just saw this, THANK YOU!

Sent from my LM-T600 using Tapatalk

Currently Jeepless (Previously 78 Cherokee WT-2 each, and 79 Waggy, 94 XJ)
Co-Founder of the East Coast Invasion
I live In Virginia :roll:

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Need to check back more often, as others post with issues that you or your daughter, might provide help for their questions.

See you here again soon :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I just finished my headliner. Made new boards from Corroplast. I think.

If you move the center crossmember a few inches forward you can use 48" wide sheets of whatever material you pick.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

What is Corroplast?

Where did you buy it?

How much?

Does it take the fabric glue well?

Rigid enough it should hold shape and not sag?

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

A plastic honeycomb material with sheet on both sides. Bought at a sheet plastic supplier. Not too expensive as i recall but don't remember the exact amount. Found it on the Web.

Seemed to glue well but time will tell. When I put it up with no support after cutting it it sagged but the lights seem to be holding it up fine. Again, time will tell.

It's thicker than the original stuff so I had some trouble with the trim at the ends. Maybe because I cut it a little big??? I traced the originals on it but prolly cut on the outside of the lines which would have been a little big anyway.

Some pichers here: http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=164564
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Looks like you installed these in 2015

How are they holding up?