Repair Panels for Our Truck Beds

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
threepiece

Repair Panels for Our Truck Beds

Post by threepiece »

Fellows, I am planning to add another item to my growing list of FSJ repair patch panels, hopefully soon.

I am in process of making tooling that will allow me to produce patch panels for our truck bedsides at a reasonable cost. These patches will replace the almost always rotted seams between the bodyside upper and lower. The patch will replace an area 8.5” above and about 3” below the seam. This will be an assembly of the upper and lower welded together like original. I have already completed one of the five tools needed. I need to source some sheet steel to do my first tryout, hopefully I will have a chance this week.

The area below the taillights is also a hotspot for rust. While I have a truck bed in the shop I have taken data from these undamaged areas that will allow me to make tooling at a later time.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

tgreese

Re: Repair Panels for Our Truck Beds

Post by tgreese »

That taillight panel should be a popular item ... however, I suspect the number of these trucks still on the road that need repair will be limited. Many of the ones that have been preserved are the best examples, and don't need repair. That said, I have an extra bed that would be a good target for those panels.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
threepiece

Post by threepiece »

Yes, I’m not expecting to get rich making these hahah! I have not even come close to braking even on the widetrack fender tooling I made fifteen years ago haha!

I make these tools largely for my own entertainment and use. I have at least ten truck beds out in the yard that may one day benefit from them. I could possibly sell the beds after I restore them.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

DGB

Post by DGB »

I am brand new to the forum - my son and I just purchased a ‘64 J200. Do you have a website to purchase these panels? Thx!
Been Restored

Topic author
threepiece

Post by threepiece »

DGB wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:40 pm I am brand new to the forum - my son and I just purchased a ‘64 J200. Do you have a website to purchase these panels? Thx!
Welcome, no I don’t have a website. I’m just an enthusiast like most of us here. You can PM me here if you wish.

I’m almost done with the tool for upper panel. The lower tool is next. I can’t say that the tool will satisfy the first generation truck beds with round taillights but my guess is it will. I have two J200 trucks, if I can find an area that is not damaged I can check with the surface gauges I made.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

DGB

Post by DGB »

Sorry Threepiece. Evidently since I am new to the forum, I am not yet allowed to PM (tells me I need to participate in more discussions before I can PM). Can you send me a note to *removed* Thx.
Been Restored

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

DGB wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:43 am Sorry Threepiece. Evidently since I am new to the forum, I am not yet allowed to PM (tells me I need to participate in more discussions before I can PM). Can you send me a note to thedbutton@aol.com? Thx.
I expect this restriction is meant to prevent spammers who get new accounts from spamming every mailbox on the forum.

Suggest you don't post your email address publicly and instead ask threepiece to send you a PM. Guessing a PM would be allowed in that direction.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

DGB wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:43 am Sorry Threepiece. Evidently since I am new to the forum, I am not yet allowed to PM (tells me I need to participate in more discussions before I can PM). Can you send me a note to *removed* Thx.
I removed your email from your post. Its really not a great idea to post your email in a public forum.

And yes, I have those limits in place because we get people that join to act like they are wanting to buy/sell but are really just trying to scam people.

I have gone ahead and promoted you to a regular user, so you should now be able to private message.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

I'd be interested in early tail light panels. I know the cab corners repair panels are pretty close and can restore the lower end with minor modification which is where I've seen the majority rot out here in the north east. Eventually I am converting my later double wall bed to fit my trucks year astheticlly while maintaining the extra strength of the double wall. Best of both worlds kinda thing. I'd like to see a finished set if you make them. I personally think tail light panels would sell well. My late model bed has a bent one on the driverside right in the middle and the lower areas are packed with filler. I'm kinda interested in the wide track front fenders if you still can make a set depending on price
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Tnsser

Post by Tnsser »

Can you post pictures of the area you are making? I need some repair panels but don't need the entire side that BJs offers. I decided to make my own but would love some that were already made and ready to go in. I'm a buyer if they are what I think k they are.
1984 Jeep J10 258 AMC 4 speed (New project)
1991 Chevrolet S10 283 swapped and slammed
1991 Mazda Miata Turbo. Total rebuild with 230 hp
1979 Honda CB750 Cafe
2006 Ducati Monster S2R
1964 International Scout 80. All original
1984 Chevrolet C10 built 350 slammed
Knoxville Tennessee

emillika

Post by emillika »

Ill buy a couple sets when they are ready.

Topic author
threepiece

Post by threepiece »

Tnsser wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:05 am Can you post pictures of the area you are making? I need some repair panels but don't need the entire side that BJs offers. I decided to make my own but would love some that were already made and ready to go in. I'm a buyer if they are what I think k they are.
Well I don’t think I can post pictures here. The patches cover the entire seam Between the bodyside upper and lower. This seam is exactly where the bed floor joins the bodyside and where the majority of rust occurs. Patches will be available for the seam in front and behind the rear wheel.

There are several advantages to a patch panel over a full panel, cost of the part and shipping it are two. Another major advantage is not having to disturb original factory welds that have already proven their ability to remain rust free. This is something I strongly recommend against whenever possible.

Also I recently discovered there may be steel full panels available in addition to the fiberglass ones. I am curious how these panels are connected to the steel bed floor. Also how the fiberglass panels make the connection to the steel structure without cracking at the joint? There is a significant amount of twisting/movement within these beds as they travel the roads. Most beds I have seen show some cracking from repetitive stress. With these patch panels a repair will much closer to original as they connect in exactly the same way.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

Topic author
threepiece

Post by threepiece »

emillika wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:49 pm Ill buy a couple sets when they are ready.
Perhaps this month. I have already completed the tooling for the upper panels and about 50% of the tooling for the lower panels.

I still need to source sheet steel, It looks like I will be using 18 gauge. I am having difficulty determining the original thickness as there is some corrosion everywhere I have checked. My estimation is 17 gauge. Finally I need to do a tryout to confirm fit on the bed I am restoring. I am fairly confident there won’t be any significant issues.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

Tnsser

Post by Tnsser »

I'll buy when they are ready.
1979 Honda CB750 Cafe
2006 Ducati Monster S2R
Knoxville Tennessee

Tnsser

Post by Tnsser »

Any more progress on these?
1979 Honda CB750 Cafe
2006 Ducati Monster S2R
Knoxville Tennessee

Topic author
threepiece

Post by threepiece »

Tnsser wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:26 am Any more progress on these?
Yes, I have completed about 90% of the tooling. I expect after this day is over I will have enough done to do a tryout, I will post the results shortly after. I expect to do so within the next few days.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

Tnsser

Post by Tnsser »

Are you making them for both in front and behind the wheels?
1979 Honda CB750 Cafe
2006 Ducati Monster S2R
Knoxville Tennessee

Topic author
threepiece

Post by threepiece »

Tnsser wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:20 pm Are you making them for both in front and behind the wheels?
Yes, and for right and left sides. There are eight pieces in all. They can be had spot welded together like original or separate.

Interestingly, the eight pieces require only four tools. The system I developed allows interchange of components. This allows me to use tools for the left rear on the right front. It also allows changes in length to accommodate different wheelbase trucks.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

Tnsser

Post by Tnsser »

Good
1979 Honda CB750 Cafe
2006 Ducati Monster S2R
Knoxville Tennessee

Tnsser

Post by Tnsser »

How's this coming along?
1979 Honda CB750 Cafe
2006 Ducati Monster S2R
Knoxville Tennessee