Sun visors

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
1988SCWaggy

Sun visors

Post by 1988SCWaggy »

My Wagoneer headliner doesn't have the cups for the sun visors. The headliner is in ok shape, so I want to minimize messing with it. How do the cups attach to the roof of the Wagoneer?

78 WIDETRAC

Re: Sun visors

Post by 78 WIDETRAC »

The factory headliner had cut outs for the visor cups. that allowed them to recess into it.
91 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
80 Golden Hawk
81 Cherokee

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

They just sandwich between the sun visor bracket and the roof.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

The cups are hard to find and if found they are likely cracked. They're made of polyethylene or polypropylene so they don't glue well.

There's a vendor here or on the other site who was going to cast them out of urethane. Dunno if he's selling them or not.

I was playing around with vacuum forming them out of ABS but stopped messing with it when I saw he was doing it. This was several years ago. He's still around so some searching should find him.

Another vendor here's doing them in aluminum.

I guess what I'm getting at is don't go cutting the holes until you're happy with how you're going to complete the project.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

BJ's off road carries the aluminum ones if you need a durable set. They're pricey, but given what I've seen people ask for good condition plastic ones (that will fail eventually), they're not a bad deal. Paint them to match and be done.

You probably just need a few measurements from someone with a headliner section out and the visor cups to make the cuts in yours. The forward headliner part isn't difficult to remove as long as you don't have the sunroof option. Remove the dome light, the trim at the top of the windshield and gently lift up and out of the side and middle channels.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD