Jeep grand Wagonner year model conundrum

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
mgmag05

Jeep grand Wagonner year model conundrum

Post by mgmag05 »

Hey group, first post here. Just picked up a Jeep grand wagoneer. Title says 89, vin number in 2 locations (dash & engine compartment plate) match vins and code indicates 89 year. However the complete dash, grill, inferior lights etc, all indicate around 85 model. What gives? It kinda threw me off when purchasing, but got it for so cheap, with singed title from owner, that I didn’t really care. But now it’s just bothering me. Title check doesn’t show any abnormalities except no history before the owner I bought it from when he registered it in 2012. My only thoughts are, I’m in south Texas, possibly it was built for Mexico, and made its way to the states?

tgreese

Re: Jeep grand Wagonner year model conundrum

Post by tgreese »

The sequential part of the VIN (the serial number) should match the number stamped into the frame. Passenger side top of the frame near the front shock mount? Interchange of parts like the grille and such is rather easy; could be that it's legit but has a lot of repair parts from another vehicle.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.