Power steering pump temperature

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
JWestfall

Power steering pump temperature

Post by JWestfall »

I have a 71 Wagoneer with the Eaton power steering pump. It's not noisy, just leaks a little and gets pretty warm. Hot enough that I can't hold my hand on it longer than a second or two, but not boiling water hot. Is this normal for a power steering pump? How hot should they get under normal conditions?
Thanks

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Power steering pump temperature

Post by Stuka »

PS fluid can certainly get hot. Its not uncommon for people to put coolers inline when running large tires or hydro-boost.

If you are running stock tires, its possible you may have some excessive resistance someplace in your steering. If you are really concerned about it, jack up the front end and turn the tires back hand.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

It shouldn't generate that kind of heat under normal operations. It maybe continuously by-passing generating the heat. Sounds like something Screwy is going on. The only time I had issues with PS heat was with 38" Boggers and locked front axle.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Few other things, make sure the PS lines aren't pinched off. And it may just be the pump is failing. If the bearings are going bad, that will cause a lot of heat buildup. Also make sure you aren't low on fluid.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Post by letank »

later model have PS cooling line, or was it an option, basically a metal loop snaking in front of the radiator... even the fancier german street cars have them...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)