missing 49 state sticker

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Analog

missing 49 state sticker

Post by Analog »

I need to register an out of state car into California. It's a 1971 Wagoneer. The sticker on the inner fender well is too damaged to read. First registered in Colorado. I'm aware that there is no smog test needed on something this old in California. I need to take the jeep to my local police to do an inspection required to register it and the form says that I need to be able to show that the car in it's original configuration would have been allowed in 1971. How can I show that?

1.) Can I get reproduction stickers for that year? It's the Buick 350. No alterations to the engine that I can see.
2.) Was this Ok in California in 1971?

Thanks for any help,
1971 Wagoneer Custom Buick 350, 700r4, Holley sniper and Hyperspark.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: missing 49 state sticker

Post by Stuka »

In California any vehicle that is model year 75 and older is exempt from all emissions testing. The sticker being gone will not be an issue for you.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Analog

Post by Analog »

California DMV form "Verification of Vehicle" #9 "Emission Label Indicates: (ALL VEHICLES- 1968 and newer model years, ....." It asks to check the correct box. "This form must be completed in Full by an authorized DMV representative"
_ Vehicle meets US EPA standards only
_ Vehicle meets US EPA standards and California Standards
_ Vehicle meets California stands only
_ Vehicle is Exempt (Former Military Vehicle- OHV use only)

The form also asks " Emission label test group or engine family number"

I believe this info is only listed on that sticker?
1971 Wagoneer Custom Buick 350, 700r4, Holley sniper and Hyperspark.

JWestfall

Post by JWestfall »

I had to do this last year with my 71 (it has the 360) to get a title and register it. I got the form and a police officer had to fill it out with no mistakes or corrections. The officer didn't know what some of the things even meant on the form and neither did the DMV person, so I had to tell them what they were looking for. It took 3 tries to make the DMV person happy. It was a bit of a pain. If it was missing the label, I was told a CHP officer would have to look at it, rather than a local city police officer. Good luck.