I am thinking about removing the AC

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
will e

I am thinking about removing the AC

Post by will e »

When I put the rig together it was a daily driver and I made sure the AC was working.
But now I only drive when the weather is nice. I haven't even tried to use the AC in a few years. I am not even sure if it is still 'charged'.

But I am thinking about just removing it. Lock, stock and barrel. The compressor, the hoses, the under dash stuff and the condenser.

I figure it will give me more airflow through the radiator. And with the Rhino grill space is tight so if I get rid of the condenser I can easily fit a transcooler and an aux electric 'pusher' fan.

It will be easier to work on the engine with the AC stuff out of the way.

It will be easier to do stuff under the dash with the AC stuff out of the way too.

It's nice to say "I have AC' but I never use it.

What do you all think?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

SJTD

Re: I am thinking about removing the AC

Post by SJTD »

I think you'll find buyers for the parts. Especially if you run it so you can say it's a working system rather than ran a few years ago.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Mtnmax

Post by Mtnmax »

I pulled mine out of my Cherokee for many of the same reasons you list above. Although, I live in the mountains of Colorado and I can count on one hand how many times I wish I had AC in the last 25 years.

Resale Value is the only reason I can think of to keep it. Some people, possibly who live in different climates, might not be able to live without it. But they can always reinstall it.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

That's a good point Mtnmax. In this case, if I could find a buyer, they probably wouldn't be swayed by AC. But I had not thought of that as a con. I appreciate the input.

SJTD, I will test to see if it has Freon still and try firing it up!
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

JMO - it's a value killer if you ever sell it. People want AC. Hardly anybody drives with the windows down anymore.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Locked and Loaded

Post by Locked and Loaded »

When you following a group of Jeeps on a dusty road it's nice to roll up the windows and turn on the A/C. Regardless of the weather. Fix it and you will use it.
Drink more Water

oregonphil

Post by oregonphil »

Will-e, I agree, especially about getting in the way in the engine compartment. Mine never did work, so I took out every part of it in the engine bay. Don't regret it at all. I do drive when it's warm/hot outside with the windows down (no I do not smoke).
They can worry about the resale value at the estate sale when I die.
77sj 401 warmed over
72 Commando basically stock
07 Siena should last forever
76 FLH just for fun

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

oregonphil wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:57 pm They can worry about the resale value at the estate sale when I die.
That made me laugh! That's what's probably going to happen with mine or it will get parted out before I die.

I like the inputs on AC and it was starting to sway me to keep it, Jeff makes a good point about rolling the windows up on a dusty trail. But I have another 'modern' rig I take out when it is a bit on the warm side and trail dust doesn't bother me, I just kinda hang back.

But I like Jeff's idea, I will at least go fire it up and see if it is working.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

oregonphil wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:57 pm ... They can worry about the resale value at the estate sale when I die.
I appreciate the sentiment, but life happens. And I agree with L&L about the dusty trail thing.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.