Replacement for 79 Cherokee hood

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

I’m wanting to get a replacement hood for my 79 Cherokee to save me lots of body work hours. Does anyone know what years the hoods were the same as the 79 Cherokee on the wagoneers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Replacement for 79 Cherokee hood

Post by Stuka »

79+ hoods should work for you. Earlier models could have a hood bar, which has two giant holes in the front. The 79+ hoods do not have this.

Unless you are wanting to swap on a razer grill, then a 78 and older grill is what you want.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

Thanks! I have a razor and am planning to do the swap. Does that mean any year hood will work for me? When I read about the swap from pig nose to razor I didn’t think a new hood was needed. Thanks again

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

I asked on FB if anyone had one in California and someone said this wrecking yard where I’m from has a few and sent this pic. Image

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Looks like a good prospect.

You could use the '79-up hood, but you'll want a grille bar to use with the razor when that happens. Then drill holes to install. You could use a hood with a hood bar, but when you remove the bar there will be a pair of holes in the front edge you might want to fill. Look here - http://jubileejeeps.org/faqs/fsjgrillesrevisedflint.jpg

If you can weld, it's no problem. Filling holes with putty or whatever may or may not last, depending on how good your technique is and the local conditions. Don't use bondo.

If you're in California, it should be very easy to find a replacement hood. Not much rust in CA, and the hoods don't rust much anyway. I suggest you look at car-part.com and shop around some. Also, your cost will be much less private party than from a yard. I would try the for-sale forums here and at IFSJA. May not be as close by, but for half as much it might be worthwhile to go and get a different one. A chance to meet another FSJ enthusiast in your area too!

If you put your location and model/year/equipment in your profile, it will appear with every post.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

Thanks for the advice!!! I didn’t know about car-parts.com. That’s very handy

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

tgreese wrote:Looks like a good prospect.

You could use the '79-up hood, but you'll want a grille bar to use with the razor when that happens. Then drill holes to install. You could use a hood with a hood bar, but when you remove the bar there will be a pair of holes in the front edge you might want to fill. Look here - http://jubileejeeps.org/faqs/fsjgrillesrevisedflint.jpg

If you can weld, it's no problem. Filling holes with putty or whatever may or may not last, depending on how good your technique is and the local conditions. Don't use bondo.

If you're in California, it should be very easy to find a replacement hood. Not much rust in CA, and the hoods don't rust much anyway. I suggest you look at car-part.com and shop around some. Also, your cost will be much less private party than from a yard. I would try the for-sale forums here and at IFSJA. May not be as close by, but for half as much it might be worthwhile to go and get a different one. A chance to meet another FSJ enthusiast in your area too!

If you put your location and model/year/equipment in your profile, it will appear with every post.
Any idea what year that green wagoneer might be?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Don't know. Looks like it may have had full wood paneling, which means '78 or newer? The green is an odd color.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Jwillis wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:03 pm Any idea what year that green wagoneer might be?

I am going to guess 80's going by the mirrors. Provided they were not installed on some older model.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Honcho Villa

Post by Honcho Villa »

did you find a hood? I found a really nice blue one I could get my hands on. Im in Utah

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

Honcho Villa wrote:did you find a hood? I found a really nice blue one I could get my hands on. Im in Utah
I did find one at JW Jeep yard outside Sacramento. Thank you!