Very slight ball joint slop

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Triumph215

Very slight ball joint slop

Post by Triumph215 »

The lower ball joint on the drivers side has a very little bit of slop in it. I'll be able to get it replaced in a few weeks and have been gingerly driving it for the past 6-8 weeks or so. The more I drive it the more creeped out I'm getting, I also worry that I'm ovaling that hole out. Are these legitimate concerns or am I fine to drive it gingerly for the remaining few weeks until I can get to it?
1964 Triumph TR4 with 1964 Olds 215 heart transplant
1977 Wagoneer
2009 BMW GS1200

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Very slight ball joint slop

Post by Stuka »

Typically ball-joint play is between the ball and socket. Are you saying the socket that presses into the knuckle is loose? If thats the case, don't drive it. But if its the typical wear that happens where the ball has a bit of play inside the socket, the knuckle won't be hurt or become oval from the play.

As for it being safe to drive, kind of depends how bad the play is. If you can grab the bottom of the tire (with it jacked up) and you can really feel it move in and out, it may be worse than is safe. But if you have to look closely at the ball joint to see it moving and you can barely feel it, then you may be fine and you only risk some possible tire wear.

Its hard to safe if its safe or not without seeing it. So my internet advice is, use your best judgement. Or if you can shoot a video and throw it up on youtube, we can advise better.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ