What would you tune up?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Jwillis

What would you tune up?

Post by Jwillis »

I have a 79 Cherokee Widetrack with a 360. I got it last month and it has been sitting in a field for 15 years. I have driven it a total of 20ft and it struggled big time. Someday Im going to do an LS swap but for now I need to get the 360 running.

My question is, what would you tune up on the engine or anywhere else before I start it up. My current thoughts are:

Spark plugs
Change oil
Fuel filter
Repack or replace wheel bearings
Air filter
Empty out old gas (if there is some octane booster or fuel cleaner I can use to avoid having to empty it that would be preferred).

Basically I want to check all the major potential issues for a car that has been sitting for 15 years off and then I can diagnose other problems from there.

Thanks for your wisdom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Jwillis on Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnzi10

Re: What would you tune up?

Post by Johnzi10 »

Check brakes!!!
2020 Cherokee Limited v6. Wife’s Jeep
2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo Daughters Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee “the Ghost”
1989 Grand Wagoneer my Covid mental health medicine

Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

Cool looking Cherokee, more pics?
2020 Cherokee Limited v6. Wife’s Jeep
2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo Daughters Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee “the Ghost”
1989 Grand Wagoneer my Covid mental health medicine

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

Johnzi10 wrote:Check brakes!!!
Great add. I replaced the tires yesterday and saw the front is disc and the back is drum. Is this normal for a 79?

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

Johnzi10 wrote:Cool looking Cherokee, more pics?
It’s a work in progress. My original plan was to do a LS swap but my complex said it was too ugly to keep in our community garage. So then I started on body work to get it looking better. They told me that was making too much mess but I could keep it if I covered it. So now the plan is to get it running so I can get it outside to do body work on. I have a neighbor that owned a body shop that is helping me with body work. I’m planning to wrap it because painting is too expensive. I put 33s on it yesterday. I just did KBS coatings rust prevention and seal on the inside. Now I have to patch the holes. I’ve got all new door panels, carpet and headline coming from BJs. Need to get seats to upholstery in July. Will did sound deadening material all over the inside.

Before and after the 33s. Need to black out rims. Image

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Regarding the brakes, yes factory equipment is disks front drums rear. There is a complete '79 TSM free to read and download here https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html Suggest you page through it cover to cover and read what's of interest.

Any new-old car when it comes to me gets all new hoses and belts. Change all fluids. Replace any ignition consumables like cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires. Esp the plug wires; no need to go fancy, but they are usually neglected to start with, and it's been in a field for more than a decade. Carburetor probably needs rebuilding - they too don't like to sit idle. Usual failures are the accelerator pump and the power valve. If you want to drive it at all, you may be stuck with a rebuild.

I would do the brakes, top to bottom. New cylinders, new master, new hoses, new hardware for the drums, new pads, new linings. Surface then measure drums and rotors, replace if out of spec. Reman calipers are ok. I'd just go through and replace everything that's consumable or can wear out. Not a place to skimp.

I don't think your plans for eventual swap will let you escape much, if you want to drive this prior to your swap.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

tgreese wrote:Regarding the brakes, yes factory equipment is disks front drums rear. There is a complete '79 TSM free to read and download here https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html Suggest you page through it cover to cover and read what's of interest.

Any new-old car when it comes to me gets all new hoses and belts. Change all fluids. Replace any ignition consumables like cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires. Esp the plug wires; no need to go fancy, but they are usually neglected to start with, and it's been in a field for more than a decade. Carburetor probably needs rebuilding - they too don't like to sit idle. Usual failures are the accelerator pump and the power valve. If you want to drive it at all, you may be stuck with a rebuild.

I would do the brakes, top to bottom. New cylinders, new master, new hoses, new hardware for the drums, new pads, new linings. Surface then measure drums and rotors, replace if out of spec. Reman calipers are ok. I'd just go through and replace everything that's consumable or can wear out. Not a place to skimp.

I don't think your plans for eventual swap will let you escape much, if you want to drive this prior to your swap.
Thank you!!

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I would also point out - specific hoses are more problematic: heater hoses, fuel hoses. Buy the best heater hose you can find - Gates hose is good, and upgrade to Firewall or Green Stripe (expensive - check the stores that cater to boats or big trucks) if you can. The generic hose they sell at the chain parts stores is crap - I'd only trust it for a year maybe two. Fuel hoses under the hood, especially on top of the engine, can be trouble and potentially start a fire. Another place to get the best quality hose you can find; again, Gates is pretty good, their premium is Barricade.

Replace the short pieces of hose to the fuel filter every time you change the filter. These are a common source of engine fires. You can probably let the belts go for now, as long as they are not cracked or frayed. Being an old-school Jeeper, I change all the belts and the radiator hoses and throw the originals in some corner of the Jeep as trail spares. I'd carry a spare coil (first priority), fuel pump (second) and water pump (up to you) too - what spares to carry is a whole other discussion, and you'll find plenty of posts here and on the other Jeep forums if you search.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

tgreese wrote:I would also point out - specific hoses are more problematic: heater hoses, fuel hoses. Buy the best heater hose you can find - Gates hose is good, and upgrade to Firewall or Green Stripe (expensive - check the stores that cater to boats or big trucks) if you can. The generic hose they sell at the chain parts stores is crap - I'd only trust it for a year maybe two. Fuel hoses under the hood, especially on top of the engine, can be trouble and potentially start a fire. Another place to get the best quality hose you can find; again, Gates is pretty good, their premium is Barricade.

Replace the short pieces of hose to the fuel filter every time you change the filter. These are a common source of engine fires. You can probably let the belts go for now, as long as they are not cracked or frayed. Being an old-school Jeeper, I change all the belts and the radiator hoses and throw the originals in some corner of the Jeep as trail spares. I'd carry a spare coil (first priority), fuel pump (second) and water pump (up to you) too - what spares to carry is a whole other discussion, and you'll find plenty of posts here and on the other Jeep forums if you search.
Thanks you! Sounds like great advice!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

If it has not been started in a long time, turn the engine over by hand with a socket wrench. That way if the rings are frozen, you don't break them with the starter.

Otherwise, some good into here. I would add inspecting fluids in the transmission and transfer case.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

Stuka wrote:If it has not been started in a long time, turn the engine over by hand with a socket wrench. That way if the rings are frozen, you don't break them with the starter.

Otherwise, some good into here. I would add inspecting fluids in the transmission and transfer case.
Thanks. I drove it 20 ft in May so I know it starts. It just struggles like it is flooded or not getting enough gas.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The accelerator pump diaphragm on the front of the carburetor is a common failure, and may explain the symptoms you describe. You can buy just the diaphragm from Dorman:
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-18724- ... in=keyword

Any parts store can get Dorman stuff, or it's available on Amazon or from RockAuto.

When this fails, you get no pump shot, and the engine coughs and dies when you open the throttle, like it was starved for gas (because it is).
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

tgreese wrote:The accelerator pump diaphragm on the front of the carburetor is a common failure, and may explain the symptoms you describe. You can buy just the diaphragm from Dorman:
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-18724- ... in=keyword

Any parts store can get Dorman stuff, or it's available on Amazon or from RockAuto.

When this fails, you get no pump shot, and the engine coughs and dies when you open the throttle, like it was starved for gas (because it is).
I just ordered it! Thanks!

wyocherokee

Post by wyocherokee »

i jus took in an 89 that sat for 8 years under a pine tree with a full tank of gas. i put a bottle of ethanol neutralizer in it, and a bottle of seafoam in the tank. replaced all the rubber fuel lines, fuel filter, air cleaner gasket, and any cracked vacuum lines. ran it through half a tank, then put ethanol free 91 in it, ran a whole tank. replaced fuel filter, and sock in the tank, then a full tank. did plugs and wires, and a can of restore in the oil with a fresh oil change.
89 GW all stock. Custom game carrier and 12v pass through wiring from the PO