1970 Wagoneer Stock Wheel Specs & Steel Wheel Suggestions?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
spjohnson1031

1970 Wagoneer Stock Wheel Specs & Steel Wheel Suggestions?

Post by spjohnson1031 »

Hello All!

I recently acquired a 1970 Wagoneer, 4x4, with manual hubs. To my dismay, it has 4 different wheels on it, one of which I believe is correct (see attachment). My question is, what are the factory wheel specs, and can someone link me to a good set of steel wheels that will allow me to continue running my original hubcaps and allow for the manual hubs?

From my research, I've found the following regarding stock wheel specs, so please correct me if I'm wrong...

-15x5.5 bolt pattern
-Roughly 3.6" back-space
-15" x 6" wheel dimensions

Can anyone send me a link to a good set of new, steel wheels that will allow for me to continue running my hubcaps?

Thank you in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: 1970 Wagoneer Stock Wheel Specs & Steel Wheel Suggestions?

Post by Stuka »

The specs you list look correct to my knowledge. My old Cherokee also came with three different wheels.

These are the style wheels you are looking for, they have them in chrome or unpainted: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway ... 83805.html

Personally, I would go for a wider wheel. The hub cap will still work, but will let you run a wider tire and fill in the wheel wells a bit.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

IMO you'll be better off to look for a set of OEM steel wheels from the era. The 5on5.5 wheels ended in 1974 for the FSJs with the change to 6on5.5, a new front axle and disk/Delco brakes. However, the CJs continued with this pattern through the end in 1986. Later Jeeps (Wrangler, XJ, etc.) are 5on4.5 and no use.

There were a couple of styles from '74 on:

These types are interchangeable according to the book, and should work with your hubcaps. I'd check that the center hole size will be ok with your hubs. All the Jeep steel wheels from this era will have the characteristic turned-over center edge. This reinforces the web between the center hole and the wheel stud holes. Ford pickup wheels can work if the center holes are cut larger, but this makes the aforementioned web prone to cracking.

You will need to search to find a complete set. Jeep junkyards maybe. We will need your location to recommend yards. Completing your profile will provide both your location and year/model/equipment in every post. https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/member ... le&u=10535

Another possibility is to search using car-part.com including the models that also used these wheels. You may end up finding one or two at a time that will match. Realize that this was a specialty car with low production numbers compared to the big three. Maybe there were say 20 thousand Wagoneers built in 1970? For decades Ford has built something like a million light trucks annually. Aftermarket support will be limited to consumable parts for the running gear.

Not many options on the aftermarket other than hot-rod wheels. Nothing that will work with your hub caps. Possible a shop like Stockton Wheel could make them for you, but I hear they have a long lead time and reported results have not been good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tgreese on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

This is a factory steel wheel from my '75 CJ-6 (not for sale).

This is 6" between the bead mounting surfaces, and 5 on 5.5". Notice it was fitted with turbine hubcaps like your Wagoneer; the seller kept the hubcaps. Wheels like this would work for you.

Many CJ owners look for these factory wheels. They are out there if you search.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Another comment - I would not depend too much on whatever specs you found. Instead I would demount your "correct" wheel and measure it. You can determine the measurements without removing the tire. Place a stick across the wheel (not the tire) and measure the depth to the wheel mounting surface (WMS). This will give you both the back spacing and rim width. Realize the rim width is from bead mounting edge to edge, so subtract for the wheel rim thickness.

Yes, I would expect 6" width and 15" diameter, with about 3.5" backspacing.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.