Air vent knob removal from dash?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
JohnnySwell

Air vent knob removal from dash?

Post by JohnnySwell »

Hey all, almost have my Chief fully gutted out and ready to sand down the interior but I’m held up on trying to get these damn air vent control knobs removed from the dash.

Does anybody have some insight or tips that I might be missing??

Appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny B

1978 Cherokee Chief

I'd love some input on my build here:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=20266

tgreese

Re: Air vent knob removal from dash?

Post by tgreese »

Doesn't the cable assembly come out complete with the knob? Knob may not be removable from the cable.

Yep - checking the parts book, there's a clip on the back side and the whole cable assembly comes out.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
JohnnySwell

Post by JohnnySwell »

tgreese wrote:Doesn't the cable assembly come out complete with the knob? Knob may not be removable from the cable.

Yep - checking the parts book, there's a clip on the back side and the whole cable assembly comes out.
Yeah that’s basically what I meant. I just need it off the dash. Trying to remove it from the back of the dash but it’s tough getting my fingers back there to feel any clip?

Johnny B

1978 Cherokee Chief

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

No experience, but it's a u-shaped clip with a right-angle bend along the top edge.

Not this clip, but something like it.

I would try to grab the top edge with pliers and then push on the pliers to pull the clip. You could tap the pliers with a hammer if you need more oomph. Bright light and mirror should help. Even if you can't see it while you remove it, it will help to see what it looks like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
JohnnySwell

Post by JohnnySwell »

Interesting. Wonder if that differs depending on the year? Mines a 78 and I don’t see or feel a clip like that.

What I think I’m gonna do considering the next few steps is to pull the windshield and dash is that I’m gonna unhinge the part of these vent wires from the vent side and leave the dash side connected then asses them with the dash removed.

Thanks for the help my dude! It’s greatly appreciated!

Johnny B

1978 Cherokee Chief

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Might be 2 plastic prongs molded into the the cable assembly itself. Squeeze them together and push towards the rear of the truck. Holes should be square. Be gentle with these, I Don't believe there are replacements available in the aftermarket. Should be the same style as the last CJ series if you google image search, you should find a good pic.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

FLeetFox wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:48 pm Might be 2 plastic prongs molded into the the cable assembly itself. Squeeze them together and push towards the rear of the truck. Holes should be square. Be gentle with these, I Don't believe there are replacements available in the aftermarket. Should be the same style as the last CJ series if you google image search, you should find a good pic.

Fleet Fox
This seems likely. The parts book shows the same replacement vent cables for all the FSJs (models 10-20-40) from 1976-80, and only one illustration. The parts book sections are laid out with a page of numbered notes, followed by the illustrations, then the text with part numbers. The listings point back to the notes that show that the '74 cable uses a clip like the one I show above, but the '75 cable snaps into the dash. Does not say anything specific about '76-on. Reasonable that the illustration was recycled from earlier books, and that the snap-in cable design continued from '75 into '76 and beyond, even if the illustration does not agree. Listing of the hardware is goofed up too, since they show the clip as applying to all 10-20-40 from '74 on.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

very good historical coverage from Tim. I could not remember the cut off year, my solution as it is really hard to reach and squeeze the tabs, the plastic is really hard and hard to reach, you can slip a hose clamp and close the tabs while you tighten the clamp around the tabs.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)