It’s been so long...

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
bruner1981jpce

It’s been so long...

Post by bruner1981jpce »

Been so long since I’ve had my Cherokee on the road that I forgot they like to break down. Lost my new fan belt in Walmart’s parking lot today. Guess the bearing on the smog pump went bad. When I first got it running again, one of the ridges of the belt jumped up over the edge of the smog pump pulley, I ended up just putting the belt back on and didn’t think much of it. Trying to leave the parking lot at Walmart, I heard something start hitting the fan and I knew right away it was the belt. Ended up getting back into a spot after the belt came off completely. Took AAA 2 1/2 hours to come get me. It was kinda hot today but it could have been worse. I found myself a nice rock to sit on in some shade under a tree, so it wasn’t all bad. Used that to justify eating some ice cream when I got home!

So I guess it’s time for the smog pump to go. Don’t need it for emissions now anyways. None of the pulleys felt loose but the one for the smog pump was dragging and making a grinding noise. Time to get to work on the smog pump delete and tracking down the right belt for no smog pump with a/c. At least I’m finding the little bugs now so I can get it running reliably and take it on some trips! Just got the Idaho State Parks passport for it when I registered it today, definitely want to take advantage of that!

Semi unrelated to today’s story, here’s a picture of her in her new parking spot. Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy
1981 Cherokee Laredo W/T 258/Weber 32/36 DGEV/T176/NP208 2" front springs with new stock rear springs and 2 1/2" blocks, sitting on 31's
Build Thread: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2281

sirrus
Vendor

Re: It’s been so long...

Post by sirrus »

Sorry to hear about that! Now I’m glad I got rid of my pump the minute it started making rattling sounds.

Regarding finding new belt - doesn’t it use a separate small belt that runs air pump off PS pump pulley? It was like that on my 88 GW with AMC 360, maybe other years/engines are different? I just removed that little belt and that was it
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Smog pumps sound terrible when the insides start to go bad. At least its not on the main drive belt so its easy to remove from the system.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
bruner1981jpce

Post by bruner1981jpce »

Mine is set up with a serpentine belt so unfortunately it’s not as easy as just removing that belt. I’ll have to find a shorter serpentine belt once I remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy
1981 Cherokee Laredo W/T 258/Weber 32/36 DGEV/T176/NP208 2" front springs with new stock rear springs and 2 1/2" blocks, sitting on 31's
Build Thread: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2281

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

I see. Out of curiosity - is that factory serpentine setup with I6 engine or aftermarket serpentine conversion for v8?
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Simple fix to this is to replace the AI pump. They are available reman through the usual outlets. It's a slight parasitic load, and some annoying additional complexity, but it does what it was designed to do. These AI pumps will freeze up from internal rust if they sit too long.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.