Hood release (‘89)

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Xplitive

Hood release (‘89)

Post by Xplitive »

The lever handle on the inside hood release just broke off. Recommendations for a good fitting replacement?
Thanks
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

fulsizjeep

Re: Hood release (‘89)

Post by fulsizjeep »

I haven't had to replace this part yet but I'll probably shop here when it's time.

https://www.bjsoffroad.com/Hood-Release ... p_913.html

https://www.bjsoffroad.com/Aluminum-Hoo ... _2053.html
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

marc

Post by marc »

Bought a hood release from BJs for my 84 J10, works well but be careful with the rubber grommet for the firewall.
J10 1984, very stock with AMC 258.
Truck appears to have been rebuilt or restored at one time

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Ive had good results with assembly from BJs. Plastic handle on these is kinda flimsy, so I’d also consider a aluminum handle from BJs as an upgrade. You can paint it black and trace letters with white paint to make it look like a stock one if you want to
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Man, I’ve bought most stuff from BJs and forgot about them on this one. Looks like I got the same plastic one so hopefully it lasts another 32 years.
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Funny story - I bought the aluminum handle just for the looks, but then I forgot about it and it was sitting in a drawer for a year. Then one day I broke off the old plastic and gladly remembered that I already have a replacement :) 20 minutes later I’m back in business. Fast forward couple weeks and steel cable for the hood release snaps right at the handle! When I got it out it was frayed and rusty. Then I got new assembly, and now my aluminum handle is once again sitting in the drawer (although it’s painted like an original now) :)

What I got out of my experience with the hood release is that if it’s in a good condition (cable moves freely, not frayed, not corroded, latch is lubed, etc) plastic handle is fine, probably even after 30 years of service. But when you need extra effort to work that hood latch (because it’s dirty/rusty/whatever), it will snap eventually. Me replacing plastic with aluminum was more like putting a bandaid on already stressed cable, that only lasted few more weeks.
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

letank

Post by letank »

Lube, lube and lube that cable... my handle was getting tougher and tougher... sprayed pb blaster on the cable under the hood with hood up to let the fluid go down.
Spray the mushroom tops on the valence as well.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I pull mine gently. Always worried thr plastic handle will break.. maybe ill lube it up too

I noticed lutting grease on the J shaped hook latch also helped make it slide open easier
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

I believe the XJ's used the same hood release, the 1st gen at least. Thank god for those bean counters at AMC.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

bjs cable is as good as the original, its not that expensive, obtw most of the new jeeps have way more plastic and if anything more chinchy