Sick of me yet? Plugged the instrument panel back in and now it's haunted.

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
memsiej

Re: Sick of me yet? Plugged the instrument panel back in and now it's haunted.

Post by memsiej »

Yea, I rewired the instrument cluster with the yellow and red on the same post. Will wrap it up and call that good for now.

Recap that I cannot make sense of:
-Pulled instrument cluster to replace bulbs with LEDs
-On reinstall, many things didn't work and/or were haunted and only working sporadically or in weird situations.
-Battery charge dropping rapidly during testing, eventually nothing works
-After replacing all that is listed below, hooked up to battery today and got a big spark. took out and reinstalled fuses, no spark, was able to hook up battery. No drop, so that's good, but the wipers are randomly engaging even though the switch is off. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
-Some of the wires that were showing high resistance yesterday are testing fine today???

What I've done:
replaced the alternator
replaced fusible link at starter solenoid
replaced starter to NSS connection
replaced heater switch and connector
replaced ignition switch and connector
replaced floor dimmer and connector
replaced ignition coil connector
replaced headlamp switch
replaced fuses (some 20s had 25s in them)
tested for resistance everywhere (found high resistance at gry/blk @ floor switch and @ lt brn coming off heater resistor)
had battery tested and charged

Found this ground up under the dash where the wipers are top of the stack. I'm getting resistance readings that are all over the place? One check it reads high, the next it's fine? Trying to find what the other grounds go to, but they go into a BIG wrapped bundle.

1984 Grand Wagoneer V8 5.9

letank

Re: Sick of me yet? Plugged the instrument panel back in and now it's haunted.

Post by letank »

inconsistencies in resistance reading could be that your voltmeter or DVM is temperamental, try to borrow another one for comparison... I have the same issues sometimes with my $5 DVM that is the general duty workhorse... so when in doubts I pull the $150 one... sometimes new probe terminals will do.

You have some rust up there and that will really skewed your reading as your probe will alternate from a rusty to a non rusty spot: I had the same with the parking brake indicator... on or off... the parking brake contact spot had too much rust to give a constant good conductivity.

BTW that ground screw does not look very tight, the fan washer is not flat on the contact support
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)