Larger fuel tank with dual exhaust and tow hitch?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
JohnnySwell

Larger fuel tank with dual exhaust and tow hitch?

Post by JohnnySwell »

So I’m planning out what to do with my 78 Chief. I want to run a fairly large fuel tank but also be able to have a tow-hitch and dual exhaust.

Has anyone had a similar setup? I’m kinda interested in the 40gal fuel tank made by Aero (part #1923) wondering if anyone has used their tanks before?

Looking to get some ideas and input!

-JohnnyB
Johnny B

1978 Cherokee Chief

I'd love some input on my build here:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=20266

tgreese

Re: Larger fuel tank with dual exhaust and tow hitch?

Post by tgreese »

Replacing the spare tire with a larger tank is common. You can find rear-mount tanks from vehicles like Suburbans or Broncos and use that, at less cost than the Aero tank. Very common topic - search here and at IFSJA. https://www.bing.com/search?q=site%3Afs ... y+gas+tank

My J20 came to me with an auxiliary tank in the space for the spare. About 25 gallons? Works. Mine has a class 5 (?) hitch, but single exhaust. Typically the fill of a rear tank is on the opposite side from the exhaust exit, and you'd have to break that "rule" with dual exhausts. You have to find another place for the spare, if you carry one.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
JohnnySwell

Post by JohnnySwell »

Thanks tgrease

I’ll have to do some more research. I know BJ’s makes a tank for where the spare tire goes. I think that’s a 27 gal tank? But I don’t think a hitch could fit with that?

Wonder if anybody out there has made a custom tank and done this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny B

1978 Cherokee Chief

I'd love some input on my build here:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=20266

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Nice day here today. Easy to snap a couple of pics.

The tank is maybe 9" deep. You can see the receiver takes a jog and goes under the tank, to a rear cross-piece made of angle iron. The tank is probably pre-made. The hitch could be a commercial product from ca 1982, but it also could be from a savvy hitch builder/shop. Looks plenty solid. The truck also has a Jeep Special Equipment step bumper, likely dealer installed. Supposedly this truck was purchased for work by a fence company in Arizona. I presume it hauled a work trailer. Just what I was told by the seller.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.