Just found the best oil for our Jeeps

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Just found the best oil for our Jeeps

Post by Stuka »

I have fixed noisy lifters in a few engines using ATF. Its great at cleaning out sludge from engines that were regularly run with dirty oil. Lifters that wont pump up will often sound similar to bad lifters. If the engine is sludgy, its worth getting it cleaned out before ripping it apart to replace what may just be dirty lifters.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Tnsser

Post by Tnsser »

Stuka wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:48 pm I have fixed noisy lifters in a few engines using ATF. Its great at cleaning out sludge from engines that were regularly run with dirty oil. Lifters that wont pump up will often sound similar to bad lifters. If the engine is sludgy, its worth getting it cleaned out before ripping it apart to replace what may just be dirty lifters.
Exactly. If you know anything about BMWs you know it's true. The fix for a sticky lifter it to run it like a scalded dog. It will fix it every time.
1984 Jeep J10 258 AMC 4 speed (New project)
1991 Chevrolet S10 283 swapped and slammed
1991 Mazda Miata Turbo. Total rebuild with 230 hp
1979 Honda CB750 Cafe
2006 Ducati Monster S2R
1964 International Scout 80. All original
1984 Chevrolet C10 built 350 slammed
Knoxville Tennessee

AccrateDelivery

Post by AccrateDelivery »

No kidding Tnsser, Great statement of the obvious. My comment refers to MECHANICALLY bad lifters. I.e. BROKEN, WORN, CUPPED, ETC. Broken.
Looking to your oil to fix mechanical failures is an exercise in delusion.
If you hang around these AMC engines long enough ... you will learn that they have foibles related to valve train. It isn't always the 'lifter'. I have seen pushrods smashed THROUGH the rocker arm and operating that way until dismantled. Makes noise like a 'stuck' lifter.
Aluminum rocker arm bridges (what's your experience with those?) notorious for cracking and wearing causing noise that cannot be tightened out.
Take your valve covers off and LEARN about your AMC.

Seriously jack.

Tnsser

Post by Tnsser »

AccrateDelivery wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:55 pm No kidding Tnsser, Great statement of the obvious. My comment refers to MECHANICALLY bad lifters. I.e. BROKEN, WORN, CUPPED, ETC. Broken.
Looking to your oil to fix mechanical failures is an exercise in delusion.
If you hang around these AMC engines long enough ... you will learn that they have foibles related to valve train. It isn't always the 'lifter'. I have seen pushrods smashed THROUGH the rocker arm and operating that way until dismantled. Makes noise like a 'stuck' lifter.
Aluminum rocker arm bridges (what's your experience with those?) notorious for cracking and wearing causing noise that cannot be tightened out.
Take your valve covers off and LEARN about your AMC.

Seriously jack.
😆 Calm down big fella. I'd hate for you to cup a lifter. It obviously wasn't to obvious because my comment stated sticky or clogged lifter.
1984 Jeep J10 258 AMC 4 speed (New project)
1991 Chevrolet S10 283 swapped and slammed
1991 Mazda Miata Turbo. Total rebuild with 230 hp
1979 Honda CB750 Cafe
2006 Ducati Monster S2R
1964 International Scout 80. All original
1984 Chevrolet C10 built 350 slammed
Knoxville Tennessee