Truck tailgate latch reproduction--Questions

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Truck tailgate latch reproduction--Questions

Post by rocklaurence »

Hay Guys, I am working on reproducing the Tailgate latch for our trucks. The link hole on the Lever of the handles wear through the Pot metal and Ive never been able to find a new replacement. Are these built by anyone and how much do they cost? I have several other questions too:
  • ---What years used the handle latch vs the hook & chains
    ---would you opt for Black vs Chrome
    ---What have you done in the past when your latches broke
    ---Were the latches all the same

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Truck tailgate latch reproduction--Questions

Post by Stuka »

As far as I know, the tail gate latch is actually a passenger side AMC Car door handle. Which can be purchased new, although I am not sure of the quality of them.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Stuka wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:09 pm As far as I know, the tail gate latch is actually a passenger side AMC Car door handle. Which can be purchased new, although I am not sure of the quality of them.
I saw that they are similar but the Car door handles have a key section in the indentation/pocket.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Townside hook and chains with round taillights through 1972. Center handle and narrow lights starts 1973.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

rocklaurence wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:26 pm
Stuka wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:09 pm As far as I know, the tail gate latch is actually a passenger side AMC Car door handle. Which can be purchased new, although I am not sure of the quality of them.
I saw that they are similar but the Car door handles have a key section in the indentation/pocket.
Not all of the car door handles do. I think only the front door handles did.

I think this is the one that fits J-Trucks: https://www.amclives.com/collections/ch ... front-rear
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Thanks for the info. I was looking at these and Crown/Omix and the YJ ones. They seem thinner, the tapers/shapes are different on the backside. Plus, I dont see the threaded bases for installation. Id like to see the rear/inside view of those ones you listed Stuka. Has anyone use on of these as a tailgate handle replacement?

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I bought a Crown driver door handle for my 84 Eagle about 10 years ago. It broke right after I installed it. I was able to use parts between the original and the new Crown product to get back in business. My general thoughts on the new one was CRAP. Now that is 10 years ago and was not for the Jtruck tailgate, etc. Maybe the American Performance version is not made by Crown or OmixAda.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

After more research on the Mothership, I found that some have used the YJ tailgate handle on J-trucks. I ordered a chrome unit to see if it fits. Now, the keyed door handles are the Driver's. So, a passenger side is what is needed on the tailgate?

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

OK, Im spinning my wheels and wasting time on a Repro' latch for our tailgates. I purchased a $27 piece for a YJ tailgate and it is Cheap but a perfect fit. So far, my efforts are moving from 3D printing to Billet replacements. Cost is close to several hundred dollars each. You cant beat cheap castings made of recycled pot metal :D