Carb replacement help

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Normanator

Carb replacement help

Post by Normanator »

Afternoon all, I have a '77 Cherokee S with a 360/TH400 that was a basket case when I started.
Everything including the wiring harness was torn out.
It now has everything back in, cooling system plumbed, and electrical mostly back together (interior electrical still under construction).
I'm now facing a motorcraft 4v that is missing at least a few springs and linkage pieces and has the secondaries rusted shut (forgot the carb #, but I'll look at it next time I'm in the garage).
My plan for this jeep was a driver around town and some road trips with occasional light off road/logging road use, and I'm torn between trying to rebuild this carb, or getting a new Holley/Edelbrock. I'm open to a new intake too to accommodate the upgrade, I just don't know what works best on these as my experience has mainly been small block Fords to this point, and nothing with all this emissions garbage on it (also would like to delete most of that junk too).
I'd appreciate any advice or experiences here as I'm not looking to toss money away on parts I'll just end up wanting to replace in short order!
1977 Cherokee S 360 4v AT
Polson, MT

1978J10REDWHITE

Re: Carb replacement help

Post by 1978J10REDWHITE »

I would recommend whatever emissions equip you remove store in a box.
You really don’t need it, just make sure the PVC is operational etc.
Have both the 4350 4bbl and an Edelbrock carb on different trucks. The Edelbrock runs out quite ok.
My 4350, I have not got to it yet though ordered a complete kit for it from “mikescarbutretors” in Chehalis, Washington, so TBD on performance there. Had good success on a 2150 Carb parts from him.
https://www.carburetor-parts.com

They the Edelbrocks are a reasonable performing unit. If you want to keep OEM then try to get pieces for the restore of what you have.
Check for a local carb-guru guy ppl might know someone, who works on them and chances are you’ll locate a hoarder with some.
If you cannot locate pieces and need a 4350 carb, Let me know I’ll pass my carb guy # to you.
He may have what you need there.