Armrest attaching thingys

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Removed the front and rear armrests in my ‘89 for some door and panel repairs. The armrests screw into some sort of small piece that is MIA in the door. Is there a replacement handy?
Thanks
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

There should be 2 u type nuts (part number J4004058) on each door - armrest screws go into them. Sometimes they fall off during disassembly, check inside the door - maybe they’re still there.

TGW sells them as a kit (2 screws and 2 nuts) for $8. I would check local hardware store first however, I think I saw something alike at ace hardware
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
Xplitive

Re: Armrest attaching thingys

Post by Xplitive »

Thanks - those where definitely not what was in there. Looked like the square plastic pieces for mounting license plates.
PS - you were correct the front armrests don’t have the same problem as the rears breaking off. Now I know the problem in the front was the wrong/missing clips.
Erik

freehold

Post by freehold »

Those are the most annoying things ever. I hate trying to get the arm rests mounted back up.
1987 GW, 202k miles, AMC 360 engine rebuilt 62k ago, all more or less bone stock
1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ, 244k and still going
When it rains, I drive an MDX

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Pretty lame question on my part but has anyone recently installed these TGW clips? If so, what is the trick?
Erik

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

I haven’t installed these specifically, but they work exactly like other u nuts - you slide/clip them on sheet metal, and align hole with the hole in the metal. If they are new, they might need some persuasion
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

They seem to be very different than the original ones. bigger than the actual opening, been taking material off the sides of the clip down slowly.
Edit:
Ok, so I should ask how does one fit a u clip?
I can see the sides (that I’m grinding off ) actually need to be wider and fit under the door frame skin. Glad there are 2 in a pack.
Erik

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Take some pliers, pull the metal edge for the retaining clip opening in the door outwards. This should eventually let the left and right edge of the clip slip under the metal. Using a dremel (or similar), remove a little metal in the opposite corners of the top and bottom. Feed clip in, likely have to use a punch (or similar) to drive the clip in to position.
Erik

memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Just tried to install the TGW ones yesterday on my 84. Were about 1/8" too wide for the hole, so pretty useless. I took a piece of sheet metal, drilled a hole for the screw to attach to, and affixed that plate to the door. Bam. Not pretty, but it's covered by a door panel and actually works.
1984 Grand Wagoneer V8 5.9