Tie rod... is this normal?!?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
deckroid

Tie rod... is this normal?!?

Post by deckroid »

A few years ago, a Texting Teen smacked into me. The shop did a great job putting my 84 GW back together (driver front panel, hood and some frame work). I asked about the bent tie rod, etc... they said it was bent and the power steering needed replacing. They were having issues locating a pump but I picked up one from a you pull yard 2 hours away and they found one in Arizona. They used theirs. I still have mine... more on this later. They also said they fixed the tie rod. I thought they meant replaced. My grand pappy always told me... never assume.

Anyway, it came back together, I got it painted and put a lift on it. There was something off when I got to the pitman arm, but by that time I was just done and wanted it over. Also, I was never happy with the way that auto body shop left my steering wheel cattywampus so I finally today pulled into the garage to play with the drag link. Lo and frickin' behold...

Wait for it...

Waaaaait for it.....

That is definitely a WANG in the Tie Rod. It, uh, isn't supposed to be like that... right??

It was a buddy's auto body shop I took it to. I called him this morning and gave him a ration of poo over the phone. All in good fun. I mean, they did alot to not get it totaled when the adjuster showed up so I will give him some flack and call it good.

However, I think I will wait until I get another one before I start playing with the drag link!

As for the pump... I loved the way I could pinky steer it before the accident. Now, though... it is still better than nothing but not as smooth. I am thinking while the kids are home this week, they can "assist" poor old dad with some surgery.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Tie rod... is this normal?!?

Post by Stuka »

A re-manufactured pump should be pretty easy to find.

As for the tie rod, that bend actually looks normal, although its at a weird angle. If you compare it to the photo of this new one, same bend in the same place, typically to held clear the differential.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 05&jsn=856
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ