Diagnosis....

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
HowardT64

Diagnosis....

Post by HowardT64 »

After careful study and examination I have determined that my valve seal(s) need to be replaced. I have figured the cost to repair it...if I do it myself? 60$...but id need a small compressor to do the job :)

This should fix it from smoking as the oil looks fine and the coolant does too. Thought it was a blown head gasket but thankfully that is not the case...

If all goes well\, I can do this and have my Jeep back :)

Here is to praying this works :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

letank

Re: Diagnosis....

Post by letank »

Great news, no need for a compressor, you can use the rope technique, the laundry line type is perfect, it is nylon, and you do not not rely on electricity that could be turned off.
There was a post sometime ago about which umbrella seals to use... I use the one given to me at the parts store, and it is fine. You will need a valve spring compressor and some patience. Keep track of the retainers, I think this was the only step that stopped me... I lost one and had to order a box... Even with a magnet I could not locate the missing half retainer.... and 6 years and 10,000 miles later... while doing some carb work... guess what I found on top of the intake.... the missing retainer
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

Hey! I have some comp umbrella seals that need a home - yours for shipping cost (which, they should fit in a USPS flat rate envelope). I think I have some felpros too - they threw them in with various kits - send me a PM to work it out if interested.

And yes - what letank said - rope works fine. And yes, what letank said - those keepers like to FLY! I think I may have covered the stem with a rag & plugged up all of the drainback holes just in case.
1984 GW

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

how do I use the rope? I am thinking a magnetic grabber thing to catch the retainers...do one valve at a time. May take a bit, but no chance of mixing up the springs and such. Umbrella seals? Ill have to look that up. Id be interested in those...im thinking of doing them all...then be done with it.

Any thoughts?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I found what I think is the answer, let me know if this is the one :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jl4zU0TWmc
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

weeegoneeer wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 pm Hey! I have some comp umbrella seals that need a home - yours for shipping cost (which, they should fit in a USPS flat rate envelope). I think I have some felpros too - they threw them in with various kits - send me a PM to work it out if interested.

And yes - what letank said - rope works fine. And yes, what letank said - those keepers like to FLY! I think I may have covered the stem with a rag & plugged up all of the drainback holes just in case.
wont they (the seals) get damaged in an envelope? I saw a complete set for 12$ Let me know :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

True - could check'em in a box as well.
1984 GW

letank

Post by letank »

good video, the hammer trick is a very good point, when I did mine, I could not get the valve stem to slide off, Carnuck gave me the hammer trick... I used a larger hammer.

Good detail about the paper towel on both ends of the drains of the head

I used a different valve compressor... and the only 2 seals that I could not remove were the ones facing the exhaust check valve for the AIR system. In the end, the oil consumption dropped from 1.5 quarts per 1000 miles to barely a quart per 3000 miles

If you need a few spare retainers, I can pop a few in an envelop, so you do not get stranded with a missing/flying retainer. pm your address

Happy turkey day
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)