1984 Grand wagoneer won't turn over after its at operating temp

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Jguess85

1984 Grand wagoneer won't turn over after its at operating temp

Post by Jguess85 »

Good afternoon guys,
i have purchased a 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

This jeep for some reason acts like it has a dead battery when i shut it off after it has warmed up. You can let it get back cold and it will crank and fire right up. What could cause this? It has a new solenoid on it.

The next question.
The 4x4 switch on the floor is free. no resistance at all when trying to move it. I can't get it into 4x4 at all. It looks to be hooked up at the transfer case.

What could cause this?

Thanks in advance.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: 1984 Grand wagoneer won't turn over after its at operating temp

Post by rocklaurence »

Regarding the starting issue, a marginal starter that fails when its Hot from the running exhaust. The shifter maybe related to the vacuum 4WD system. Leaking Vac' lines or bad Vac' motor.

Topic author
Jguess85

Post by Jguess85 »

rocklaurence wrote:Regarding the starting issue, a marginal starter that fails when its Hot from the running exhaust. The shifter maybe related to the vacuum 4WD system. Leaking Vac' lines or bad Vac' motor.
So should I try a new starter and heat wrap it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

letank

Post by letank »

Jguess85 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:14 pm i have purchased a 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer.
The 4x4 switch on the floor is free. no resistance at all when trying to move it. I can't get it into 4x4 at all. It looks to be hooked up at the
IIRC for the 84 vintage, the 4x4 lever is paired with a pull down knob that is under the 4x4 lever case, you need to pull down the little metal plunger then shift the lever
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Jguess85

Post by Jguess85 »

letank wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:23 pm
Jguess85 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:14 pm i have purchased a 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer.
The 4x4 switch on the floor is free. no resistance at all when trying to move it. I can't get it into 4x4 at all. It looks to be hooked up at the
IIRC for the 84 vintage, the 4x4 lever is paired with a pull down knob that is under the 4x4 lever case, you need to pull down the little metal plunger then shift the lever
So I’ve done that, and I can hear the vacuum working. But the lever has 0 resistance does not click or anything when pulling up and down on it like it’s not attached at the transfer case. But from what I can tell it is.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

So I’ve done that, and I can hear the vacuum working. But the lever has 0 resistance does not click or anything when pulling up and down on it like it’s not attached at the transfer case. But from what I can tell it is.
[/quote]
Ehw, that's not good. Visually verify that the small lever on the TC is moving. If it is, then the problem is inside.
Id try and replace the starter only and see if it corrects the problem. Most of the time the starter can tolerate the heat but Id wrap that section of exhaust before the starter.

selkplitt

Post by selkplitt »

As for the starting, check the wire that goes from the relay on the fender to the starter. Mine would not start when hot but would start if I jumped the solenoid on the starter. I did not see anything wrong with the wire, but replaced it and have not had a problem since
89 Grand Wagoneer bone stock
07 Commander 4.7 Rocky Mountain QDII
18 GMC Canyon Denali 2.8 diesel